Has New Tank Cycled?

1. Hibbo

Hibbo Valued Member Member

First off sorry this is going to waffle just over 3 weeks ago I tried to be a minnow savior, we went to the local garden centre where minnows were being kept with goldfish and being eaten alive!!! As I had a spare 60 litre tank at home I purchased 6 and set it up when we got home with everything from our established 10 month old 210 litre goldfish tank (before this experience I knew nothing on cycling a tank or tank sizing )

Unfortunatly 2 died and stupidly other half bought 3 guppies. I have been testing daily ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and PH. First 2 weeks there were levels of ammonia between .5-.10 and have done daily 15-20% water changes with gravel hoover. On Saturday and Sunday there were levels of .25-.50 nitrite.

Now for past 3 days ammonia and nitrite at 0 and nitrate at between 5-10ppm. Has this tank cycled so quick because of the use of media and substrate of establised tank or am I being delusional?

2. phenris

phenris Valued Member Member

It really only takes about 3 or 4 weeks for a tank to cycle, and with adding established media and gravel that definitely would have sped up the process. So, yeah, I'd say it's cycled, but no need to sound the alarm if there's a spike in parameters. You're doing good work, though!

3. OP
    OP
    Hibbo

Thanks for your reply thats great I shall keep checking the water for a little while just incase then. Its hard work but once you have them you want to look after them well. Can't believe we started last September with 2 1 inch goldfish in a 12 litre tank and now they are around 3 inches in 210 litres eating peas, prawn and brocoli with the new additions upstairs

4. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

Yep, That is the beauty of having a cycled tank. You only have to go through a long drawn out cycling process one time. From then on you can use seeded media from the cycled tank to cycle the next one.

I keep a couple of dual sponge filters running in my main tank for instances just like this. Just pull one out and basically an instant cycle in a new tank. :)

5. OP
    OP
    Hibbo

Cycling the 210 litre one was a nightmare! I knew nothing about owning fish until we bought them. The pet shop was terrible only told us we needed the water in a day and sold us a 12 litre tank for 2 goldfish! Ive self taught via the web and forums such as this one. My mum calls me a fish wife

6. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

I think a lot of us started out like you did. and had to learn a lot of things very quickly. Fish store personnel aren't always the best folks to get advice from. I am sure there are some that give good information but getting a second opinion is never a bad idea.

7. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

So, you have minnows and guppies together in the same tank? What kind of minnows? I ask because commonly feeder minnows are the fathead minnow or rosy red minnow, and they like cooler water like goldfish do, but guppies are a tropical fish that like their water a whole ten degrees (F) warmer.

8. OP
    OP
    Hibbo

Would be helpful to be fully informed though. I am sure no one wants to hurt a fish without meaning to.

9. OP
    OP
    Hibbo

10. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Okay, cool, they're different. They like the same temperature guppies do.

11. OP
    OP
    Hibbo

That tank is maintaining around 25°c

I felt so sorry for them at the garden centre being eaten alive... wish I had the space to save them all. I can always wish for a lotto win to have a fish room