Has my guppy miscarried/aborted pregnancy

switty2110

Reaction score
My guppy was showing all signs of close labour, really box shaped, hiding away, always on her own away from other fish so we put her on breeding box and then within an hr we had quite a few yellow balls?? She wasn't showing any sign of stress though
20200308_201843.jpg

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI & welcome to fishlore, I know this will be a strange question but are you sure the fish is a guppy? they look a lot like eggs & guppies are live bearers.

OP
S

switty2110

Reaction score
Seasoldier said:
HI & welcome to fishlore, I know this will be a strange question but are you sure the fish is a guppy? they look a lot like eggs & guppies are live bearers.
Thank you for the reply I have attached a pic of her
Collage%202020-03-06%2008_12_12.jpg

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those look like they may be unfertilised eggs to me, but I don't know a great deal about live bearers.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Usually when a live bearer aborts you will see all stages of development. Those eggs honestly look infertile, otherwise you'd have partially developed babies.

OP
S

switty2110

Reaction score
Demeter said:
Usually when a live bearer aborts you will see all stages of development. Those eggs honestly look infertile, otherwise you'd have partially developed babies.
Sorry to sound silly this is my first time breeding, what does this mean and what shall I do please

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
She wasn't bred so those eggs will never amount to anything. I'd dump them in the main tank so the other fish can have a snack.

Put the female in with a male you want to breed her with. Let them get to it for a week or so then move the female to a separate rearing tank where she be comfortable and give birth in peace. You can also choose to let her drop the fry in the main tank, if there are plenty of floating plants some will survive until you can find them and separate them.

If possible it is always best to let the female give birth in a proper tank rather than a breeder box. Breeder boxes stress the fish out too much and can cause premature births and aborted pregnancies.

I only use breeder boxes for shrimplets and fry that I strip from my female African cichlids. After a week or 2 I let the fry out into a grow-out tank, leaving them in a breeder basket for too long will slow their growth.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
switty2110 said:
Sorry to sound silly this is my first time breeding, what does this mean and what shall I do please
In livebearers the young develope from egg to fry inside the mother. There are different stages between egg and fully developed fry. If the mother actually was inseminated and then aborts there should also be underdeveloped fry and not just eggs. So... I guess the female was gravid (eggbearing) but no male has yet successfully impregnated her.

What you do: Release it back to the tank and wait what happens. :)

New Threads