Has My Guppy Got Dropsy?

1. Hibbo

Hibbo Valued Member Member

For the past few weeks I beleived my guppy was just getting larger due to pregnancy (she gave birth 2nd June) and last night she had some signs of labour, keeping away from other fish, staying in one spot etc but looking at her this evening her scales are protruding and she has a torn fin and chunk out her tail

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10. They are in a 60 litre tank (I think around 15 gallons ish) 3 guppies, 1 male, 2 female and 4 white cloud minnows. Temp is 25°c
    I shall try to upload pics I took of her but I am not the best at fish photography. Is this dropsy and not pregnancy after all? And also her bottom end looks red

Attached Files:

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    Hibbo

:(:(:( Oh no! That's always fatal isn't it? Poor Sunny

4. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Ive lost so many guppys from dropsy. Thats it for sure. I took mien out into a gallon bowl halfway full. I added Indian almond leafs and some aquarium salt. I swear it worked as he actual started to eat in 2days and the scales went down a bit! I went to school and came back, my mom thought he was dead and got rid of him. IM STILL MAD AS YOU CAN BET. He actual ate that morning and im still so mad!!!!! Anyway try this.

5. OP
    OP
    Hibbo

I actually have a 12 litre tank set up (ready for fry) with filter pump and heater. To hand I have aquarium salt, goldfish disease safe and stuff for flukes!

Do I move her to that tank or leave her where she is? She is still eating and swimming just her pea tonight

Bet you were mortified!

6. CanadianFishFan

You bet, I would move her to start salt treatment or salt baths.

7. OP
    OP
    Hibbo

How much do I put in?

8. CanadianFishFan

Thats a hard on to say, I put 1tsp in for half the bowl. Then I took out 1 cup of water daily and replaced it with fresh water.

9. OP
    OP
    Hibbo

Ive put her in the seperate tank with salt. Soaked some of her food in garlic and gave her some. Her fella Carl looks like hes missing a fin without her Hes not so keen on the other girl in the tank. Sunny is his first love Shes probably thankful to have a rest from his advances

10. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Don't use aquarium salt, there's a pretty high chance that it can make it worse.
    Use epsom salt, 1 tbsp per gallon for a 10-15 minute bath 2-3 times a day.
    You need to get some kanaplex, drops is most often caused by a bacteria affecting the kidney. It's either bacterial, fungal, or parasitic, with bacterial being the most common

11. OP
    OP
    Hibbo

Do they do epsom salt in pet shops Ive never seen it. I shall see what they have in the one down the road tomorrow as off work but its not the biggest of places. Is it antibiotics Im looking for? Im hoping being seperated from the male she has less stress too, hes the Hugh Heffner of the fish world :rolleyes:

12. Rtessy

You can get Epsom salts at pretty much any convenience store, just make sure it is unscented and doesn't have dyes. It should say magnesium sulfate on it somewhere. It reduces the swelling which takes some pressure off the kidneys and basically buys them time, but normally doesn't cure it.
    Yes, Kanaplex is an antibiotic by Seachem, and if you have access to Amazon I think it's around $7-10.
    And lol, I totally know what you mean with the males, some of them are nuts!

13. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Rtessy is correct. you need epsom salt. Kanamycin used in conjunction with nitrofurazone is your best hope. It all depends upon what ailment is causing the dropsy. In any case, epsom will remove excess fluids and make them more comfortable. Good luck.

14. OP
    OP
    Hibbo

Shes had a salt bath which she perked up in after the initial shock of being moved :inpain: Cleaned the tank and put meds in. I not too hopeful as her tail looks terrible and shes not eating today. I want to give her a chance but also dont want her suffering :( Ive not had this much worry with the kids!

15. Rtessy

I'm so sorry, Dropsy is a tough one. If nothing else, the salt baths will help her be more comfortable. If she is showing signs of pain, I can help guide you through human euthanization, but I'm not sure we're there yet.
    The fact that the salt bath helps is a good sign, were you able to find any Kanaplex? She's gotta hold in there for another week or so, the kanaplex treatment lasts for 6 days and mine didn't start to she improvement for another three days after the treatement.

16. OP
    OP
    Hibbo

She died this morning :( At least shes not in pain any more

17. Rtessy

I'm so sorry

18. CanadianFishFan

Im so sorry its hard to deal with dropsy, you tryed your best and cared about her. SIP

19. OP
    OP
    Hibbo

Got to have a fish burial now with the kids. You feel like you failed as don't know what caused it.

20. Rtessy

In most cases, there's just not anything you can do about Dropsy. Kidney failure is very difficult to fix in fish. I'm very sorry it happened to you, it's the most dreaded disease.