Question Has my guppy given birth?

chunmeep

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Refer to my other post for pictures. Basically I woke up this morning to find her black **** not black anymore and it's basically more of a clear color. Couldn't find any fry and it couldn't have left the box.

?

FYI her stomach is still really big.

Last edited:

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
She's unlikely to have given birth. There are many, many reasons why the gravid spot changes colour, shape etc. None of my fish have ever even displayed a gravid spot when nearing birth time. If her stomach starts decreasing in size it could be a sign that she's stressed and reabsorbing the eggs, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She could abort the pregnancy is too stressed. And if I remember correctly, guppies are really into eating their fry.

But if she's still big, she probably hasn't given birth yet.

-Lisa

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Don't forget that the Guppy is a live bearer. Usually only the live bearers are the ones that have the gravid spot. If the mother isn't comfortable in her surroundings or the water parameters are not where they should be, then she may hold on to the fry.

If she is still fat I doubt that she has given birth. Birth usually takes place around every 28 days or so.

I see in your profile information that you don't have a test kit. Without knowing what your readings are for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, it's difficult to say what exactly could be wrong.

Best wishes,
Ken

chunmeep

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Good morning,

Don't forget that the Guppy is a live bearer. Usually only the live bearers are the ones that have the gravid spot. If the mother isn't comfortable in her surroundings or the water parameters are not where they should be, then she may hold on to the fry.

If she is still fat I doubt that she has given birth. Birth usually takes place around every 28 days or so.

I see in your profile information that you don't have a test kit. Without knowing what your readings are for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, it's difficult to say what exactly could be wrong.

Best wishes,
Ken

dont worry, my water perimeters are perfect and tested last week and has always been perfect

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's good to know Chunmeep

I was going by the information stated in your profile. If you would be so kind as to update the information there it will be a great help to others. You can access the Profile by clicking on MY SETTINGS in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box click on EDIT AQUARIUM INFORMATION.

Thanks!

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, we would look for this info each time you ask a question as Aquarist48 says!

Guppies would not reabsorb eggs, they give birth to live fry, so no eggs involved in the way they would be with bettas for example...

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Guppies would not reabsorb eggs, they give birth to live fry, so no eggs involved in the way they would be with bettas for example...
They're called livebearers because they birth their children live, this doesn't actually mean they don't use eggs.

Livebearer's just retain the eggs within the body as they grow. Infact, sometimes when livebearers drop you'll see eggs (mine were always orange) that haven't grown or fertlised properly, and even sometimes fry kind of "half hatched" so developped, but still in a partial egg casing. More likely to happen in young mothers, or bad tank params.

And yes, livebearers can abort their pregnancy. When they abort, they either drop their semi developped fry (so you'll get a lot of half hatched dead fry or eggs ) or they will reabsorb the eggs. Probably depends on the stage of development as to whether they drop or absorb.

If you want a bit of a read on reabsorbing, I found this.

EITHERWAY!
Unless your tank params are ridiculously bad, which they're not, or she's amazingly stressed, still doubtful, as you'd have noticed, she's likely just not ready or holding onto them. You can move her into the main tank again or just wait it out.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom