Has my 10 gallon cycled right under my nose?

Charlene789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello Everyone!

I set up a 10 gallon tank about 2 weeks ago, and am wondering if it's humanly possible that it has already cycled? Everything was new (decos, gravel, heater and filter) when I set the tank up. I came onto this lovely site, and found that adding fish food would help this cycle along, so I started adding 3-4 big flakes before bed and when I woke up. I also scooped 2 big stocking footies full of gravel from my 5 month old 20 gallon tank and placed them in the 10 gallon. I also have had 2 guppies in the tank for the last 2 days. I never overly noticed an ammonia spike or nitrite or nitrate spike. As of now, (and the last 2-3 days) my readings are 0, 0.5 and 30 and the pH is at 7.4. Could my tank have cycled already without me realising it?

Thanks in advance!!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you've still got nitrites then you're not fully cycled but you're really close because you have nitrates.

Adding the gravel really helped get the beneficial bacteria a boost.

-Lisa

Charlene789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So would you recommend more water changes and holding out for just a few more days?

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, I would do that. You're almost there. Wait for the magic numbers: 0,0,5-10. Then you should add more fish IMO.

Charlene789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, it appears as though my tank has cycled. Test readings yesterday and today were both 0, 0, 20! Ive put 9 of my 18 fry into the tank (5 platy fry yesterday, and 4 today...9 mollies to come.) I know you're not suppose to overload the tank with fish in one day, so how long should I wait to put my Molly fry in aswell?

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wait a week. Check your readings. If they are still good, then you could add them.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do not believe its cycled as you are using the product cycle and you probably are getting false readings....but as long as you continue to use this product, its suppose to work ....my tanks all crashed when I didnt add it weekly or with every water change (prior to finding fishlore)

Charlene789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Actually, in my new 10 gallon tank, the only time I added Cycle was when I first set the tank up two weeks ago...Since then I have not used it. I will also be weaning my main 20 gallon tank off Cycle after reading about it here.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree to wait a week or more to make sure everything is stable then you can be safe to add slowly...ive been in the crash mode relying on the product and its not fun for the human or fish good luck either way tho!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with waiting to add fish. Give it another week to make sure you aren't getting your readings due to Cycle in the water.

Good luck.

Charlene789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I check my water parameters again today, and I'm finding them odd. 0, 0, 5ish. Is it good for nitrates to be that low?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Charlene789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No. As of now, all I have in the tank is 9 platy fry. All my plants are fake. I do still have 2 stocking footies full of gravel from my fully cycled 20 gallon. I'm kinda doubting they still have the good bacteria in them as I put them in 2-3 weeks ago.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads