Has he suffered long enough? Please help...

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My poor little cory, Hector, has been battling for his life for about 3 weeks now, had fin rot and went through meds for it. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but he is also not improving. Although he is eating and swimming around a bit, he swims very unnaturally, and breathes quite heavily as rest. His colouring is quite a bit darker than usual.

Please help me make this decision. Should I put him out of his misery? (I would use the clove oil method) It seems that if I try more meds he would just become more of a science experiment, and I don't think that is fair to him. I am open to all opinions please, but right now I am not sure of what to do. If he doesn't improve I can't keep him alive like this, he is not leading a very full life right now.

Help!:'(

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Very sorry to hear about your fish . In my opinion a fish that is eating still has a chance, I wouldnt euthanize your fish at this point. Ive seen pretty deformed fish that seem to still be completely happy, since it doesnt seem to be getting any worse, just try to give him the best water you can and maybe try to get some vitachem and garlic guard, Ive heard those things can work wonders on recovering fish. Best of luck with your poor little guy and I hope he starts getting better soon.

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have been doing the best I can for him, good clean water, vitachem, garlic guard in his food. Prime is the conditioner I use, I also am putting stress coat in the water. I change his water every day. Can a person use too much stress coat? I put some in after each water change.

He looks so sad! I could just cry.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thats very sad

If you feel like your fish needs to be put out of his misery, do what you have to do, you are the fish's owner and Im sure you did your best and so it is all up to you. Personally I would not put him down because he is still eating and swimming. Give yourself time to think about it and possibly see if he is getting any better at all. I would sleep on it tonight and see how you feel tomorrow morning

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well I slept on it as you suggested, and when I went to change his water this morning, he swam around so much, that I will probably be waiting a bit longer for my decision, and just keep treating him as I have been.

Anyone else out there with similar experiences, I would love to hear of the outcome.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Kawi, putting a fish down is a really tough decision. Only you can determine if it's time.
You mention using a lot of meds. Since he is eating and swimming, give him a break from the meds.
Continue with the clean water vita-chem etc.

Best of luck, I hope he improves.

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I guess my gut instinct tells me to hang on for a bit longer. He has not been on any meds for at least 10 days or so now, just doing the clean water/vitachem/garlic guard route.

Is it possible that his tail will never repair itself but that he could still be fine, just swim funny and look rather deformed? How do I know for sure that the finrot is stopped in its tracks?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sorry your cory is sick. from what i know about finrot, my betta had it, it is stopped when the tail stops becoming shorter and shorter and looks less frayed. if there is regrowth it kind of looks clearish/whiteish. not blackish like finrot can. good luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom