Has Anyone's Platies/tetras Survived Higher Temps?

smallfries

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to a 55 gallon hex aquarium and have 6 Von Rio Flame tetras and 3 Green Lantern platies. Since this is the first summer I'll had a tank at this house, I forgot how hot it gets. We only have a swamp cooler, so during the summer when it's 100+ degrees outside, it will be about 85 inside, so there's no practical way that I can keep the water temp down. My question is, should I expect these fish to kick the bucket (Tetra's max temp is about 82, platy 79) or have you found yours to be okay?

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine survived 2 weeks of 86F during ich treatment but that is the only time they have lived in temps that high. Let's see what others say. Good luck!

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The higher temp doesn't kill them right away, it just shortens their lifespan. Keep the tank well aerated with an air stone when the temps get that high and they should be fine. Warm water carries less oxygen.

smallfries

Reaction score
DarkOne said:
The higher temp doesn't kill them right away, it just shortens their lifespan. Keep the tank well aerated with an air stone when the temps get that high and they should be fine. Warm water carries less oxygen.
Great, thanks for the tip!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ice itself could work if it's dechlorinated water. Another option would be using frozen water bottles as they last longer, or little laptop fans.

smallfries

Reaction score
It might be a temporary fix, but when it's hot for several months... that's a lot of ice!

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A fan or a chiller are your next options, but they should be able to handle a seasonal swing - I would unplug your heater if you have one in the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom