Has Anyone's Platies/tetras Survived Higher Temps? Question

1. smallfries

smallfries Initiate Member

I recently upgraded to a 55 gallon hex aquarium and have 6 Von Rio Flame tetras and 3 Green Lantern platies. Since this is the first summer I'll had a tank at this house, I forgot how hot it gets. We only have a swamp cooler, so during the summer when it's 100+ degrees outside, it will be about 85 inside, so there's no practical way that I can keep the water temp down. My question is, should I expect these fish to kick the bucket (Tetra's max temp is about 82, platy 79) or have you found yours to be okay?

2. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Mine survived 2 weeks of 86F during ich treatment but that is the only time they have lived in temps that high. Let's see what others say. Good luck!

3. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

The higher temp doesn't kill them right away, it just shortens their lifespan. Keep the tank well aerated with an air stone when the temps get that high and they should be fine. Warm water carries less oxygen.

4. OP
    OP
    smallfries

Great, thanks for the tip!

5. H Farnsworth

H Farnsworth Member Member

Would putting ice in the tank be a viable option?

6. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Ice itself could work if it's dechlorinated water. Another option would be using frozen water bottles as they last longer, or little laptop fans.

7. OP
    OP
    smallfries

It might be a temporary fix, but when it's hot for several months... that's a lot of ice!

8. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

A fan or a chiller are your next options, but they should be able to handle a seasonal swing - I would unplug your heater if you have one in the tank.