has anyone used these bulbs? Question

1. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

I'm looking to upgrade my 5G to a 10G planted tank! I got a dual incandescent bulb hood, but wanted to put 2 compact fluorescent bulbs in instead. After researching to make sure this was ok, I found 2 Aqueon bulbs. One is the 50/50 cfl and the other is their Colormax cfl. They both fit, got good reviews, and have great stats (10W each-so 2w/g, good light spectrum spikes-both blue and red, Colormax-6700K, 50/50-10,000K). I just want to hear anyone's experience with these.

Some of the reviews sounded amazing, some mentioned they didn't last long and the other main concern is about the coloring. The 50/50 has a very blue light to it. Now, my tank is empty right now so I can't really see the big picture yet. People seem to have mixed feelings about the color, either it brings more color out from your fish and plants or vice versa (and not "natural"). If it looks that bad, I'll have to change it. Any other good 6" cfl bulbs out there? I'm going to try it out, unless someone can really give me a reason why they're terrible. But was wondering what your thoughts are on this.

2. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

50/50 means 50% daylight and 50% actinic which dose nothing for the plants.

3. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I have not used the aqueon bulbs, but I have a couple no name aquarium cfls on my 15gal and one on my 5 gal, I love them. I actually looked everywhere trying to find a incandesent hood for my 20gal(no luck everybody seems to use T8s starting at. 20gals) so I could grow more light demanding plants in it, by swiching out the bulbs for Cfls.