Has Anyone Used/had Issues With Caribsea Exotica Mountain Stone???

1. Cyclsnipas

Cyclsnipas Valued Member Member

Greetings all!

I setup my new 8.5 gal. nano tank Friday evening. I decided try a stone hard-scape for the first time, using bulk stone from the lfs labeled CaribSea Exotica Mountain Stone. Based on google research before purchase, the stones "should not affect ph or water chemistry" however, the water has been incredibly cloudy, almost milky, and tonight I found it had an odd, salty smell. I also used Seachem Flourite which I know can be very dusty so I gave both the Flourite and stones a good, heavy rinsing beforehand. I'm aware cloudiness in a new setup is normal but a salty smell??? :wideyed:

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I saw some at a LFS a few days ago too.
    Typically in aquascaping, mountain stone is used interchangeably with Seiryu stone, which will raise KH and therefore ph. I have no idea what Caribsea is trying to sell, I examined the rocks and they looked similar to Seiryu but not quite the same. It may have just been that batch. Did you rinse/scrub the rocks before adding? I don't think it should smell salty, maybe more... rocky? Rocks have a certain smell to me, but either way I wouldn't be concerned. With regular water changes any KH leeching should be kept under control, and the smell should go away :)

3. OP
    OP
    Cyclsnipas

Cyclsnipas Valued Member Member

Thanks for the reply! Funny thing is I got home last night and the tank had almost fully cleared up! I had talked to a Lfs owner about my issue and he said it's fairly common and not to worry about it. He suggested it could be a bacterial bloom or even the spiderwood or flourite causing the cloudiness. I'm gonna let it run and continue to cycle. See what happens.