Has anyone used BacterAE to raise fish fry? More specifically very small fry such as gouramis?

• Thread starter Darthmoli
  • Start date

Darthmoli

Have a jar of BacterAE and I was wondering if it would be as good as feeding infusoria or hikari small bites to brand new fry? Gourami fry are so freaking small the first few days that I was wondering if this would be a good solution to give them something small to nom on until they are bigger

Argos

As good? I'm not sure someone could give a definitive answer to that.

You can definitely try it out. For the first days, they will feed on microorganisms present in the tank and won't starve. I use Hikari for my CPD fry; have BacterAE, but have never used it for that. I would tend to suggest foods that are intended for fish, and more specifically fish fry. Considering Hikari is only a couple dollars and will last a long time, I fail to see the reasoning to not use fish specific foods.

Darthmoli

I had an extremely large batch that I wasnt really prepared for and there wasn't enough micro's there and my cultures of infusoria were still a days out. Figured bacterae could at least give them something to munch on if the micros die out? They say BacterAE is just dried out bacteria that gets awakened when it gets wet. I used a small amount just to see. I have some Hikari small bites but I think its still alittle too big for these little guys. I decided to just move to a spray bottle with egg yolk and tank water that i spritz every now and again. Guess I will update soon and find out! I honestly wasn't sure if the hikari first bites where small enough even when i powdered it for the tiny fry

BettasAreSuperior

Well Known
Weel, I have no experience with that but I have this very helpful video (I highly reccomend you watch) That talks about gouramis and infusoria.

Darthmoli

Thanks for the video. Already knew about infusoria and all just wanted to test something new. In good news it does seem to work just fine. They are 2 weeks old already and been on brine shrimp for a bit

BettasAreSuperior

Well Known
Darthmoli said:
Thanks for the video. Already knew about infusoria and all just wanted to test something new. In good news it does seem to work just fine. They are 2 weeks old already and been on brine shrimp for a bit
Ok, okay. Well, it is always exciting to raise fry! :eek: :;bananad2

Top Bottom