Has anyone tried..?

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by amydeb, Jul 9, 2015.

1. amydebValued MemberMember

I have a large piece of driftwood, about 15" long that is mostly hollowed out in the center. One end is larger and kind of knobby, also with a small part of it hollowed out. I have no idea what kind of wood, just that it's a hard wood. It's been soaking for a week but I wanted to try to speed things up a bit. I drilled several small holes into the fatter parts of the wood, thinking the water could get in faster.

Has any one tried this and did it help at all? Or am I just going to have to wait? lol

I don't really want to screw it to slate because if I want to turn it over at some point, I'll have big raggy holes from the screws. I can't put rocks on top because it's so large, I would need a big rock and I just thing it would look ugly piled up like that.

What do you all think?

2. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

Do not put screws in it. They will rust and wreck havoc on your water. Nothing metal should be in the tank long term.

The most common method I have seen used is tying it to something heavy with fishing line. I used a large decoration I had in my tank, and positioned it on top of the wood until it stayed down on its own.

3. Blk69Valued MemberMember

I like the fish line idea. You could tie the line to rocks and then the wood. After a while should be able to cut the line and remove the rocks.

4. OP
    OP
    a

amydebValued MemberMember

I guess tying it is!

Thanks.

5. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

If you use Stainless Steel screws, they will not rust. Many folks have used this type of screw to adhere driftwood to slate to make it sink.

Ken

6. OP
    OP
    a

amydebValued MemberMember

I would use stainless steel if I screwed it down. But the commitment-phobe in me doesn't want to. lol

7. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

It's a lot easier to take the plunge when the driftwood has an obvious bottom side. I did the stainless steel screw and slate thing with one of my pieces. The other one got the fishing line treatment :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice