Has Anyone Tried Using Bulletproof Glass For Their Aquarium?

abc123userabc123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Discus-Tang said:
Sounds like a good plan if you live in America!
When I have enough money to construct my own house I plan on making a really huge aquarium in the living room , you know those that act as a wall divider which are almost 1000 gallons more or less. I think bulletproof glass is ideal as you don't want 1000+ gallons of water to be falling into your living room and all your fish dying just because of one single crack caused by a clumsy impact or some kids horsing around

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you planning target practice with some guppies? I won't say it's impossible that in some venture that someone has tried it, but thr 2 types would be very expensive and very heavy. One type is plexiglass that is 2 inches thick. The glass type is made of layers of tempered glass with layer of polymer bonded in between. This type still spider crack when shot but prevent bulluts below specfic calibers from being able to completely penetrate. Just the costs would cause the builder as much to completely set up at least 10 other tanks. Not impossible, but not likely.
claytonktyu said:
I know this is off topic, but just curious has anyone ever tried it? Sounds cool to me

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Discus-Tang said:
Sounds like a good plan if you live in America!
QUOTE="Discus-Tang, post: 3579976, member: 98567"]Sounds like a good plan if you live in America![/QUOTE]

Nice.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
claytonktyu said:
I know this is off topic, but just curious has anyone ever tried it? Sounds cool to me
Generally very large tanks are made with either acrylic or tempered glass. Tempered glass is very hard to break, you can literally bang a hammer on a 1/4" piece and it won't break. Only thing is, if you tap one of the sides, it shatters. That is the downfall to tempered glass, if you do somehow manage to break it, it shatters into a million pieces instead of just cracking. They use it for car windows, which is why its so hard to break them, but when you do it shatters so you don't cut yourself to pieces climbing out.

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ATM (Tanked on Animal Planet) states that most of their tanks are bulletproof. I believe there's an episode where they actually take a piece of their acrylic to a gun range and test it out.

Mythbusters also had at least one episode where they tested different tanks to see what size/thickness would allow you to stand behind a tank and not get hurt when the tank is shot. Not quite bulletproof but still really neat.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Kyleena696 said:
ATM (Tanked on Animal Planet) states that most of their tanks are bulletproof. I believe there's an episode where they actually take a piece of their acrylic to a gun range and test it out.

Mythbusters also had at least one episode where they tested different tanks to see what size/thickness would allow you to stand behind a tank and not get hurt when the tank is shot. Not quite bulletproof but still really neat.
Depending on how deep it is, like front to back the water would also slow down a bullet a lot. Moral is if you have a big tank and are in a gunfight stand behind it LOL

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bullet-proof tanks; when you are unsure if you want to open a fish store or a gun range so you just combine both.

83jase

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Why the weight and cost would be outrageous use acrylic much lighter the glass and stronger

abc123userabc123

Valued Member
Reaction score
83jase said:
Why the weight and cost would be outrageous use acrylic much lighter the glass and stronger
The only problem with acrylic is that it yellows over time. Am I right?

Or are there modern acrylics that do not yellow

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom