Question Has Anyone Tried This Type Of Beneficial Bacteria?

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am going to be setting up several new tanks soon and always use some seeded material from my other tanks, as well as Tetra Safe Start. I always ship it in from Amazon but because it's so hot here in Phoenix right now I don't want to ship it in and have the live bacteria die in the heat.
I was online and saw that their is a dry form of bacteria with mixed reviews, and I wanted to see if anyone has experience with the dry stuff? I could have that shipped in in the heat, and use that for all of my new setups.
I don't believe I will have enough seeded material to spare for all of the new tanks. If anyone has other suggestions or recommendations I;m very open to suggestions. Thanks so much!

Here is a link to some of the dry stuff I am referring to.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JPZLFZ4/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07JPZLFZ4&pd_rd_w=u0M98&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=cl2mx&pf_rd_r=DA14XD99WWNGVP5ZEC8M&pd_rd_r=fbab6495-5a41-4c74-96c1-4f78f0c56c80&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVDY4RFFUTVFXNUFMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjkzMTM2N09aN1pGRzZaVzY4JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MjE5MjBTWkY1TjM2NUVTUEImd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I'm concerned about the mixed reviews. Lol.

I also found another one
https://www.amazon.com/Glosso-Factory-Bacteria-gallons-Aquariums/dp/B07TN3DPJX/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=dry+beneficial+bacteria+for+aquariums&qid=1567396448&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-3

Looks good, but no reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The concept of powdered bacteria seems similar to bactor AE, except this bacteria would be a nitrifying bacteria.

Personally, I don’t think you need it. I took a tiny bit of filter sludge from an established tank- an amount equivalent in size to a piece of fish flake food. I moved it onto filter media for a new tank and let it cycle. 2 days later and there is a small, yet very visible colony of bacteria on my filter media.

You can also take gravel or ornaments from an established tank. Remember beneficial bacteria colonies live inside your substrate, in your filter, and small amounts will grow on ornaments and glass

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just want to play it safe. I tried the seeded method with my last tank setup a few weeks ago and used a little media from another tank, poured some TopFin beneficial bacteria in, and then had shrimp arrive 2 weeks later. The tank still wasn't cycled, and I don't normally have that problem when I set up new tanks and use seeded material. The only thing I did different was use a different brand of bb, the TopFin kind. So, I'm not impressed with that one, can't get the one I normally do, so trying to see if this dry stuff will work.

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just want to play it safe. I tried the seeded method with my last tank setup a few weeks ago and used a little media from another tank, poured some TopFin beneficial bacteria in, and then had shrimp arrive 2 weeks later. The tank still wasn't cycled, and I don't normally have that problem when I set up new tanks and use seeded material. The only thing I did different was use a different brand of bb, the TopFin kind. So, I'm not impressed with that one, can't get the one I normally do, so trying to see if this dry stuff will work.
When I cycled my new tank I got a bacterial bloom for a few days (cloudy water) but during that time I was also adding plants so things were getting stirred up. Some new tanks can be more challenging then others. You just have to wait it out, add stock very slowly and start with hardier stock, and do small, frequent water changes

The main problem with shrimp and new tanks is their main food source is microorganisms which are lacking in new tanks

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TSS gets shipped to locations all over the place. I imagine if the temps in your area are hot enough to kill it then none of the stores or anyone else in your area would stock it. If you are wanting to go that route (I've had success with TSS) I would get the TSS over an unknown type of bacteria.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom