Has anyone tried this method for cleaning sand substrate?

Tambo79

Reaction score
This guys runs power heads in his tank for 2 hours each day and never vacuums his tank. He claims he has not vacuumed his gravel for over 2 years now. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I could see it with the right filters in an unplanted tank. Don’t think I’d ever get that kind of circulation possible around the plants or the fish I have, but it sounds ideal for cleaning.

OP
Tambo79

Tambo79

Reaction score
Addictedtobettas said:
I could see it with the right filters in an unplanted tank. Don’t think I’d ever get that kind of circulation possible around the plants or the fish I have, but it sounds ideal for cleaning.
Well I have an FX6 and fake plants. =)

Bighead

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tambo79 said:
Well I have an FX6 and fake plants. =)
He has no fake or otherwise flowing decoration at all just fake rock it's a very nice tank and yes the fx6 is a good one you can get the same result from a dirted tank vacuuming becomes much less with live plants. In my opinion .

OP
Tambo79

Tambo79

Reaction score
Bighead said:
He has no fake or otherwise flowing decoration at all just fake rock it's a very nice tank and yes the fx6 is a good one you can get the same result from a dirted tank vacuuming becomes much less with live plants. In my opinion .
I looked into the dirt tank but it's just entirely too much money...I could be wrong but I have heard that stuff needs replaced every year as well?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When I do my WC's I take my trusty turkey baster StarGirl15 right? and try to congregate all the waste into one open corner area and sand the gravel vac down and get a large majority of it that way.

Johnb114

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I run dirt in two of my tanks. I have yet to see growth really slow down. Both tanks are 2.5 years old and going strong. Bag of organic soil is super cheap.

Bighead

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tambo79 said:
I looked into the dirt tank but it's just entirely too much money...I could be wrong but I have heard that stuff needs replaced every year as well?
Well that would be a lot of work and no you don't need to redirt your tank once a year you can spot fertilizer next to your plants I've had one for years . gravel is just as much work but you have to vacuum your gravel and the plants in a dirted tank take care of most detritus you have to do regular water changes with both there is no substitute for good husbandry.

OP
Tambo79

Tambo79

Reaction score
Johnb114 said:
I run dirt in two of my tanks. I have yet to see growth really slow down. Both tanks are 2.5 years old and going strong. Bag of organic soil is super cheap.
I really only looked at the Fluval stuff. My buddy works at Petco and got my sand for the tank SUPER cheap since it was Petco's brand. I am also trying to enjoy my tank more by looking at it rather than having my hands in it caring for and landscaping plants and stuff. Maybe some day but right now I want to stick to basic maintenance on the tank.

Bighead

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Bighead said:
Tambo79 said:
I really only looked at the Fluval stuff. My buddy works at Petco and got my sand for the tank SUPER cheap since it was Petco's brand. I am also trying to enjoy my tank more by looking at it rather than having my hands in it caring for and landscaping plants and stuff. Maybe some day but right now I want to stick to basic maintenance on the tank.
That's the whole fun of it getting your hands in it if you want to look there are many ways to do that but you my friend got into aquatics.

OP
Tambo79

Tambo79

Reaction score
Bighead said:
That's the whole fun of it getting your hands in it if you want to look there are many ways to do that but you my friend got into aquatics.
Yeah like I said I will most likely go that route but as of now I have little interest in it...as even more evident I am trying t find ways to do even less work by having power heads in there to stir up the **** lol

Wow they really edited c-r-ap Haha

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a lot of plants and my pleco and shrimp do enough damage to need to vacuum every week. Just something that comes with the hobby and what you stock.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom