Has Anyone Tried Keeping Honey Gouramis With Endlers?

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know, I know, I would never recommend keeping them together since honeys like soft, acidic water and Endlers like hard, alkaline water, plus they can be really annoying to other fish. But I've come into contact with someone who has been breeding honeys in hard, downright rock stiff CA water, and I'm tempted to get some from this person and drop them in a 29-gallon with Endlers. Originally, I was going to set up a soft, acidic tank with tetras, but I'm feeling so done with RO water. So any personal experiences???

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The rules that fishkeepers follow are good, but trying new things is always okay if you're experienced and know what you're doing. And you CLEARLY do

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
penguin02 said:
The rules that fishkeepers follow are good, but trying new things is always okay if you're experienced and know what you're doing. And you CLEARLY do
Thanks for the vote of confidence I just had a horrible experience with honey gouramis years ago before I found out they were coming all the way to CA from Thailand where they'd been kept in lovely, soft, water water. It was so awful to have them all go belly up in our hard water that I didn't try again even after I started cutting RO water with tap for my tetra tank. Do I dare to hope and try again?

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hm. If you know they’re coming from hard water where you’re buying them, then I don’t see a problem in trying.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ve kept both Honeys and endlers together with no issues. I have soft, but non-acidic water. I find the gouramies do very well with smaller fish species. In fact, they act obivious to them, except their own kind.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
I’ve kept both Honeys and endlers together with no issues. I have soft, but non-acidic water. I find the gouramies do very well with smaller fish species. In fact, they act obivious to them, except their own kind.
Glad to hear they did well together--it gives me hope

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
Oh, I didn’t think you were keeping both sexes and wanting to breed them. I only had male endlers. But before endlers, I had White Cloud Minnows, and the Honey Gouramies were making a feast of the frys.
Hmm, ok, that changes everything! Sigh. I will have to rethink this :0

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom