Has Anyone Tried Keeping Honey Gouramis With Endlers?

endlercollector
I know, I know, I would never recommend keeping them together since honeys like soft, acidic water and Endlers like hard, alkaline water, plus they can be really annoying to other fish. But I've come into contact with someone who has been breeding honeys in hard, downright rock stiff CA water, and I'm tempted to get some from this person and drop them in a 29-gallon with Endlers. Originally, I was going to set up a soft, acidic tank with tetras, but I'm feeling so done with RO water. So any personal experiences???

penguin02
The rules that fishkeepers follow are good, but trying new things is always okay if you're experienced and know what you're doing. And you CLEARLY do

endlercollector
The rules that fishkeepers follow are good, but trying new things is always okay if you're experienced and know what you're doing. And you CLEARLY do
Thanks for the vote of confidence I just had a horrible experience with honey gouramis years ago before I found out they were coming all the way to CA from Thailand where they'd been kept in lovely, soft, water water. It was so awful to have them all go belly up in our hard water that I didn't try again even after I started cutting RO water with tap for my tetra tank. Do I dare to hope and try again?

penguin02
Hm. If you know they’re coming from hard water where you’re buying them, then I don’t see a problem in trying.

goldface
I’ve kept both Honeys and endlers together with no issues. I have soft, but non-acidic water. I find the gouramies do very well with smaller fish species. In fact, they act obivious to them, except their own kind.

endlercollector
I’ve kept both Honeys and endlers together with no issues. I have soft, but non-acidic water. I find the gouramies do very well with smaller fish species. In fact, they act obivious to them, except their own kind.
Glad to hear they did well together--it gives me hope

endlercollector
scarface Did your honey gouramis eat any of the Endler fry?

goldface
scarface Did your honey gouramis eat any of the Endler fry?
Oh, I didn’t think you were keeping both sexes and wanting to breed them. I only had male endlers. But before endlers, I had White Cloud Minnows, and the Honey Gouramies were making a feast of the frys.

endlercollector
Oh, I didn’t think you were keeping both sexes and wanting to breed them. I only had male endlers. But before endlers, I had White Cloud Minnows, and the Honey Gouramies were making a feast of the frys.
Hmm, ok, that changes everything! Sigh. I will have to rethink this :0

_IceFyre_
I've had them in different tanks with a PH of 7.6. Both did well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Drewbacca
Replies
Views
SuperSword48
Replies
Views
Hellfishguy
  • Question
Replies