Has Anyone Successfully Mixed Anabantids?

1. CrazyScienceTeacher

CrazyScienceTeacher Valued Member Member

I’m genuinely curious if anyone has ever successfully kept sparkling gouramis with a betta before. I know mixing anabantids is typically frowned upon; however, sparkling gouramis are so peaceful and have such a unique personality. I have ten of them in my 75 gallon. I’ve been wanting another betta for a long time (each of my two other boys occupy their own separate tanks in my classroom) to have at home. Has anyone ever done this, and would you ever recommend attempting it?

Note: I will not be attempting this anytime soon due to the fact I don’t have a fourth tank for the betta in case things were to go downhill.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, sparkling gourami are usually peaceful and timid. The problem is that bettas are not, particularly to other gourami. I would definitely not recommend it for the sake of the sparkling gourami. Glad you're not going to try it!

3. OP
    OP
    CrazyScienceTeacher

CrazyScienceTeacher Valued Member Member

If I brought my crown tail, Eau, home I could probably get away with it. I don’t think he’s aware he’s a betta, but my students may revolt if he suddenly disappeared lol.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think he would be more aggressive in the presence of sparkling gourami...