Has anyone seen a nerite shell like this before?

SleepyTimes

Reaction score
I recently broke down a tank and transplanted some inhabitants, and discovered this guy. I hadn’t seen him in a while in the big tank, but he definitely was a normal appearing tiger when I got him.

I don’t think it’s possible genetically that he could be a zebra/tiger hybrid, but I’ve never seen a shell like this before.

He’s healthy and happy despite his weird shell. And don’t mind the algae in the pic, that’s his dinner. :)
B5A3360F-B475-4A64-9089-CBD0B0DC1F5C.jpeg

Best Answer - View Ssnaaiil's answer

Lucas35

Reaction score
I have seen other tiger nerite shells that start with zebra patterns but it is usually not as extreme and is only on the first 1-2 mm of the first whorl. I think that tiger Nerites might not be a separate species and the eviorment somehow causes a pattern change.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fact that we know next to nothing about the breeding of this specias i wonder if in the wild they do from time to time cross with others which may or must have happened to op snail, its also possible that the weakest gene is then over grown by the dominant gene so in time the snail will look normal again,
This is just a theory but could be a possibility

Lucas35

Reaction score
That is a good theory but the distrabution of tiger and zebra Nerites doesn't overlap.

Lucas35

Reaction score
Zebra Nerites come from Kenya, Mozambique, Somalia, South Africa, and Tanzania (Africa).
Tiger Nerites come from India, Pakistan, Philippines, and Sumatra.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tiger nerits hail from the same place which I thought so ive googled it and its coming up as correct so ether you are wrong or I'm wrong which makes google wrong, if I am right the theory is posdible

Lucas35

Reaction score
Read these

Also, most websites have false information about Nerites. IMO if the website says that Nerites thrive in freshwater, only live for a year, or have been bred in captivity (most say all this), than that website is not to be trusted about Nerites because those are all myths. There is so mutch false information about Nerites.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They still could have cross bred in aquaria tho? I wonder about changing patterns in different params because they change their patterns from saltwater to freshwater.

And yes Lucas35, they can live closer to 5 or more years.

OP
SleepyTimes

SleepyTimes

Reaction score
Lucas35 said:
I have seen other tiger nerite shells that start with zebra patterns but it is usually not as extreme and is only on the first 1-2 mm of the first whorl. I think that tiger Nerites might not be a separate species and the eviorment somehow causes a pattern change.
I wondered about that (if they’re not actually different species but environmental expressions). They have different taxonomic names supposedly (neritina zebra vs neritina semiconica) but I do wonder. On the other hand I sort of feel like if changing environment affected expression so significantly, we’d see this more commonly. Will be interested to see how they grow out and if it morphs into a more normal tiger pattern!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom