Has Anyone Made Root Tabs Like This?

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by WinterSoldier., Apr 18, 2019.

1. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Just found this video, looks incredible simple. Has anyone tried this?

2. CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

3. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Yes, I've made quite a few this way. New use for kosher size zero pills!

4. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

And do you fill them with the same stuff that he did?

5. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I can't currently watch the video, but I did osmocote plus

6. Vishaquatics (Koiman)Well Known MemberMember

Personally I don’t make my own since it’s so time consuming. I buy them in bulk on eBay that are already premade with osmocote+ balls. I get 400 tabs for $20 including shipping. Sure, it can be a bit pricey when I give free tabs on every order but it definitely pays itself off

7. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

I also just buy the osmocote on ebay. I spend a couple dollars for about 100 of them.

8. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

I'll do osmocote, can buy it at my local walmart, plus I can get 1,000 capsules for like 1.08 USD

9. anirocWell Known MemberMember

Osmocote has only N-P-K. Osmocote plus has N-P-K and some (Mg, S, B, Cu, Fe, Mn, Zn).
    I used to make my own. Super simple. The problem is that I have a dark substrate and the fertilizer beads do not dissolve. If you have to uproot the plants, light coloured beads surfaced. They are unsightly.

10. Mike406New MemberMember

I make my own root tabs using Osmocote and gelatin capsules works well My sword plants like them They are heavy feeders and I an place the tabs right next to the roots so they can begin absorbing the fertilizer as it begins to dissolve If you want a source to buy gelatin capsules let me know I use the"00" size capsule

11. Mike406New MemberMember

Most aquatic plants like iron as well I bought a block of red mexican clay online I pinch off marble size pieces of the soft clay and bury them into the substrate next to my plants

12. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

13. HeathenNew MemberMember

I found the video that I found to be very useful and have been using that recipe for years. Very simple, easy to follow. :)

14. toekneeWell Known MemberMember

I used to make my own Osmocote Plus tabs. If you ever decide to move plants around all the little beads will come up since they don't dissolve. I got tired of having these tiny little beads come up every time I moved a plant, they're a pain to remove too. I got decent growth results with them though. I recently switched to NilocG Root Tabs. 60 tabs for 15 dollars. That will last my 55 gallon tank about a year. Pretty good deal and I get way better results with these than I did with Osmocote tabs.

15. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

I have osmocote, I am getting the capsules. The guy said something about osmocote changing their content, does that affect me?

16. HeathenNew MemberMember

As per the videomaker's description:

So thanks to PlantedMN, I found out that Osmocote Plus is back on the market, but no longer contains Ca and uses a different source for phosphates. So at least for now, I'll be sticking with Dynamite Select-- but always good to have multiple options!
    The Fertilizer (Dynamite Select) I use: http://tinyurl.com/ol3vsnq
    Gel Capsules: http://tinyurl.com/pkfd784

17. leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

I can relate to the DIY of these, however this stuff lasts a very long time in the aquarium. Trying to keep 1000 of these gel caps from becoming "goo in a bag" is a pain. Buying the premade ones off ebay is the way to go.
    Good luck

18. HeathenNew MemberMember

You can place silicate desiccant packets that you find in shoes and packages in general, in the bag of capsules to keep the moisture content inside the bag down. Double bagging helps as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Desiccant-Pa...ocphy=9027255&hvtargid=pla-407485189647&psc=1