Has Anyone Made Root Tabs Like This?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,117
Reaction score
3,495
Location
Atlanta, GA
Experience
4 years
Yes, I've made quite a few this way. New use for kosher size zero pills!
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,117
Reaction score
3,495
Location
Atlanta, GA
Experience
4 years
WinterSoldier. said:
And do you fill them with the same stuff that he did?
I can't currently watch the video, but I did osmocote plus
 

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,242
Reaction score
1,270
Location
USA
Experience
More than 10 years
CaptAnnDuchow said:
Vishaquatics (Koiman) don't you make your own?
Personally I don’t make my own since it’s so time consuming. I buy them in bulk on eBay that are already premade with osmocote+ balls. I get 400 tabs for $20 including shipping. Sure, it can be a bit pricey when I give free tabs on every order but it definitely pays itself off
 

CandyCane701

Well Known
Member
Messages
765
Reaction score
434
Location
MO
Experience
5 to 10 years
I also just buy the osmocote on ebay. I spend a couple dollars for about 100 of them.
 

aniroc

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,246
Reaction score
441
Experience
5 to 10 years
Osmocote has only N-P-K. Osmocote plus has N-P-K and some (Mg, S, B, Cu, Fe, Mn, Zn).
I used to make my own. Super simple. The problem is that I have a dark substrate and the fertilizer beads do not dissolve. If you have to uproot the plants, light coloured beads surfaced. They are unsightly.
 

Mike406

New Member
Member
Messages
40
Reaction score
17
Location
Yorkvilke Illinois USA
Experience
5 to 10 years
WinterSoldier. said:

Just found this video, looks incredible simple. Has anyone tried this?
I make my own root tabs using Osmocote and gelatin capsules works well My sword plants like them They are heavy feeders and I an place the tabs right next to the roots so they can begin absorbing the fertilizer as it begins to dissolve If you want a source to buy gelatin capsules let me know I use the"00" size capsule
 

Mike406

New Member
Member
Messages
40
Reaction score
17
Location
Yorkvilke Illinois USA
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mike406 said:
I make my own root tabs using Osmocote and gelatin capsules works well My sword plants like them They are heavy feeders and I an place the tabs right next to the roots so they can begin absorbing the fertilizer as it begins to dissolve If you want a source to buy gelatin capsules let me know I use the"00" size capsule
Most aquatic plants like iron as well I bought a block of red mexican clay online I pinch off marble size pieces of the soft clay and bury them into the substrate next to my plants
 

Heathen

Active Member
Member
Messages
50
Reaction score
29
I found the video that I found to be very useful and have been using that recipe for years. Very simple, easy to follow.

 

toeknee

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,622
Reaction score
1,863
Location
Vail, Colorado
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used to make my own Osmocote Plus tabs. If you ever decide to move plants around all the little beads will come up since they don't dissolve. I got tired of having these tiny little beads come up every time I moved a plant, they're a pain to remove too. I got decent growth results with them though. I recently switched to NilocG Root Tabs. 60 tabs for 15 dollars. That will last my 55 gallon tank about a year. Pretty good deal and I get way better results with these than I did with Osmocote tabs.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
WinterSoldier.

WinterSoldier.

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,424
Reaction score
1,179
Location
Somewhere in between LA & NYC
Experience
More than 10 years
I have osmocote, I am getting the capsules. The guy said something about osmocote changing their content, does that affect me?
 

Heathen

Active Member
Member
Messages
50
Reaction score
29
toeknee said:
I used to make my own Osmocote Plus tabs. If you ever decide to move plants around all the little beads will come up since they don't dissolve. I got tired of having these tiny little beads come up every time I moved a plant, they're a pain to remove too. I got decent growth results with them though. I recently switched to NilocG Root Tabs. 60 tabs for 15 dollars. That will last my 55 gallon tank about a year. Pretty good deal and I get way better results with these than I did with Osmocote tabs.
As per the videomaker's description:

So thanks to PlantedMN, I found out that Osmocote Plus is back on the market, but no longer contains Ca and uses a different source for phosphates. So at least for now, I'll be sticking with Dynamite Select-- but always good to have multiple options!
The Fertilizer (Dynamite Select) I use:
Gel Capsules:
 

leftswerve

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,501
Reaction score
439
Location
Texas
Experience
More than 10 years
I can relate to the DIY of these, however this stuff lasts a very long time in the aquarium. Trying to keep 1000 of these gel caps from becoming "goo in a bag" is a pain. Buying the premade ones off ebay is the way to go.
Good luck
 

Heathen

Active Member
Member
Messages
50
Reaction score
29
leftswerve said:
I can relate to the DIY of these, however this stuff lasts a very long time in the aquarium. Trying to keep 1000 of these gel caps from becoming "goo in a bag" is a pain. Buying the premade ones off ebay is the way to go.
Good luck
You can place silicate desiccant packets that you find in shoes and packages in general, in the bag of capsules to keep the moisture content inside the bag down. Double bagging helps as well.
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
110
Guests online
1,827
Total visitors
1,937

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom