Has Anyone Kept These?

Catfish12345

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've been researching some lately, and have come across some interesting freshwater organisms in that i've never heard of in the hobby. Has anyone here kept theses?
Freshwater Sponges/Bryozoans
Freshwater Jellyfish
Freshwater Mushrooms
Aegla
I'm sure there's more, these are just the ones i've found

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

• difficult to keep with an odd life cycle (sporic, if I remember correctly) that many aren't used to. Some are seen in Wisconsin (cold) and some from Florida (warm). You actually have to replicate the natural seasons for them, and (@least for the CW species) they will die in the winter and release gemmules that will grow back in the spring. Mature tank water, low nutrients, and no air bubbles (get trapped in pores and kills them) is what needs to be provided. They also filter feed and require a nearly constant supply of phyto/bacterio plankton and micro-organic particles (basically green water). Plus, a big downside is once one colony or piece gets damaged, the whole thing will pretty much die.

• nearly impossible to keep in the home aquaria for more than a week or so (if your lucky ); they are extremely labor intensive and needy. You need a rounded/circular tank with specialized equipment that circulates the water without too strong of a current that allows the jellyfish to move and not be trapped at the top and not have air bubbles that could be trapped under them and make them float to the top. Plus special filters that are delicate enough not to suck the jellyfish in. Even sponge filters are too much for them. They also can sting (could be irritating or not, depends on the person) and need a constant supply of food; sorta like keeping mussels or clams. Only the large/public aquariums have been able to keep them successfully for many years as they have the budget and time for them

• also very cool. If I remember correctly, they we're first discovered in Southern Ohio, in Rogue (Bog? lol I can't remember exactly) River. They believe they aren't truly aquatic, and require some time out of the water as well. They still don't quite understand the sporic reproduction process for them and why/how fruiting bodies grow in water despite the sometimes strong currents.

• I believe the aegla are Amazonian and vey difficult to buy as they aren't really that available; however, there is reports saying they breed similar to shrimp, so there is hope in them coming to aquarium life . They're pretty slow and eat the same things as crayfish, and also consume snails; they seem to be more nocturnal, but this may be due to the idea that they live in the detritus/tannin-stained water where it's darker naturally. Water needs to be a bit on the harder side, and they don't do that well in warmer waters, living well from 68-75 where 77 is considered too hot.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Keystone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Several biological supplies houses offer freshwater sponge gemmules...you could give it an affordable trial run.

I've seen Aegla pop up on aquabid once or twice in the past

Catfish12345

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've heard freshwater mushrooms were also discovered in the Amazon

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom