Has Anyone Here Met Up?

AJE
Have you? If so, who and what did y’all do?

cody2posh
a/s/l?

Dch48
LOL----- old enough, no more, in front of my computer screen.

cody2posh
LOL----- old enough, no more, in front of my computer screen.
That at least one person got this makes me happy in my soul.

I'm pretty sure I got my first girlfriend by asking her out over AOL instant messenger in 6th grade.

26/M/Dallas btw haha

edit - and to respond to the actual question of the post, no never met up in person, but I've exchanged personal info with several people here and we send each other plant trimmings, the inevitable extra snails, old aquarium pieces, etc.

Gotten a lot of cool stuff from people as well as made a lot of people happy off stuff that would've ended up in my trash.

SegiDream
That at least one person got this makes me happy in my soul.

I'm pretty sure I got my first girlfriend by asking her out over AOL instant messenger in 6th grade.

26/M/Dallas btw haha

edit - and to respond to the actual question of the post, no never met up in person, but I've exchanged personal info with several people here and we send each other plant trimmings, the inevitable extra snails, old aquarium pieces, etc.

Gotten a lot of cool stuff from people as well as made a lot of people happy off stuff that would've ended up in my trash.

Oh this makes me feel old. I met hubby through AOL back when dialup was pretty much the only way to get on...

cody2posh
Oh this makes me feel old. I met hubby through AOL back when dialup was pretty much the only way to get on...
If it's any consolation I was chatting with a new kid we hired on, started talking vaguely political and somehow mentioned how 9/11 made me feel (saw it live on TV) and he just looked at me blankly and said "uh I was 2 then sir"

-_-

CanadianFishFan
Lots of us are close friends here but I don't know any meeting up...

Repolie
Wow I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but this is fascinating hearing the things used during that time. I had to search it up to find out what they meant/were.

Culprit
Nart and Lchi87 met up at RAP NY 2018, I've met lots of local reefers.

SegiDream
If it's any consolation I was chatting with a new kid we hired on, started talking vaguely political and somehow mentioned how 9/11 made me feel (saw it live on TV) and he just looked at me blankly and said "uh I was 2 then sir"

-_-
Ironically I was chatting with hubby on aol when the first plane hit. I remember that like it was yesterday. We watched it live too.

Oh and back to the OP. No I haven't met up with anyone from here yet... that I know of. Some of the people I have met locally may be members here. My sis may even be a member here for all I know LOL.

Lchi87
I’ve met up with a few folks on here! All lovely people. Some were for plants, dropping off fish, or corals. Jocelyn Adelman , Nart , vikingkirken , DarkOne ...feel I’m forgetting someone..

cody2posh
Wow I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but this is fascinating hearing the things used during that time. I had to search it up to find out what they meant/were.
I'm not sure if this is legitimate or sarcasm

Repolie
cody2posh
Oh that's legit.
They literally used to have to mail the internet to your house on a CD, you put it in your computer and plug your phone line directly into your computer to connect to the web.

Go on YouTube and listen to "Dial Up Tone" and imagine waiting through that every time you wanted to go online.

Repolie
They literally used to have to mail the internet to your house on a CD, you put it in your computer and plug your phone line directly into your computer to connect to the web.

Go on YouTube and listen to "Dial Up Tone" and imagine waiting through that every time you wanted to go online.
Oh yeah my teacher would play it for us to show us how lucky we were to not have to listen to those.

midna
nope, but i'd love to meet some other fishy friends in my area! I feel pretty isolated irl when my family is like "why are you spending all this time and money on one stupid fish" rip. that's why I like going to lfs, if they... actually know anything.......

DarkOne
I've met Lchi87 , cadd , Dave125g and vikingkirken (don't think she's on here anymore).

I remember installing a T1 line (1.544mbps) at a large media company (4000+ users). We sat and watched in amazement a download of a whopping 3.5mb Netscape installer in less than a minute, about 30-40 sec IIRC.

Dch48
Yep, I was on dialup for about 3 years. I started on line in 1999. Never had AOL though.

I met the woman I'm living with in a Paltalk chat room. Sometimes though, actually meeting up can destroy a friendship. I always remember the old saying; "Welcome to the internet, where men are men, the women are also men, and the 12 year olds are FBI agents."

Repolie
nope, but i'd love to meet some other fishy friends in my area! I feel pretty isolated irl when my family is like "why are you spending all this time and money on one stupid fish" rip. that's why I like going to lfs, if they... actually know anything.......
Ikr?! I'm the only person in my family/circle of friends who's serious of fish and when they hear me talk about fish they hate it and I'm pretty bored talking to them because they don't know how to hold a conversation with me and my mom hates my fish saying, "why are you wasting so much water on a thing that only eats and poops and uses water?" and things like "I like just saw you changing the water yesterday" I can go on about this forever.

goldface
Oh wow, before online dating became a thing, LOL.

madeline J oquendo
Have you? If so, who and what did y’all do?
I wish to meet some from here on from new York Bronx

goldface
I'm not too far from the Bronx, although I only been there once. I live in Harlem.

Fanatic
I met up with Prism, we are close

Sarah73
Nope

JenniferB
This post has made me feel old in a way that I haven't in a while. lol I was talking about a/s/l as an adult, not a 6th grader. I spent most of my 20s using dial up. I was using CompuServe and AOL chatrooms and had a Hotmail email account. Yes, you needed a CD-rom to use the internet.
37/F/California. lol. Now stop making feel old!

No, I haven't met anyone from here. I am fairly new here and I live in the devils rear end of California.....Fresno. hahahahaha.

yukondog
I met one person from here for a fish swap a couple of times, very nice person.
I remember before we had computers, we used books than there was dialup. I must be getting old because I have no idea what any of those abbreviations are.

goldface
lol I was talking about a/s/l as an adult, not a 6th grader. I

37/F/California. . Now stop making feel old!

No, I haven't met anyone from here. I am fairly new here and I live in the devils of California.....Fresno. hahahahaha.
Huh? Not trying to make you feel old, but I don't follow, lol. I do remember the dialup days.

madeline J oquendo
I'm not too far from the Bronx, although I only been there once. I live in Harlem.
Not far.at. all hmu we can link if u want. I'm good vibes

babiimoore
anyone from ohio?

madeline J oquendo
22 female bx ny Puerto rican

Sarah73
I live in the gross Florida states

DarkOne
I had an aquarium before I ever owned a computer. And my first computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000 that hooked up to a tv (followed by a Commodore 64). I learned about this hobby by reading books and magazines and talking to LFS employees.

Before the internet, there were BBS's that you dialed into with 4-64 lines depending on the size of the BBS.

AOL and CompuServe chat started the a/s/l question in the early 90's. It was very interesting talking to people around the world in chat. Almost everyone was nice and had manners back then. Forums have become the modern chatroom. I've been on various forums for the last 20+ years.

JenniferB
Huh? Not trying to make you feel old, but I don't follow, lol. I do remember the dialup days.
It was a joke. Directed at everyone here. Not just you.

AJE
IDK how this turned into people remembering 911 and aol(what ever that is)

DarkOne
IDK how this turned into people remembering 911 and aol(what ever that is)
We're old and get distracted easily

Dch48
AOL stands (stood) for America On Line. It was the biggest internet provider for many years.

goldface
Not far.at. all hmu we can link if u want. I'm good vibes
Sure, I’m down. Let’s make it happen.

SegiDream
Oh wow, before online dating became a thing, LOL.
I guess lol or like my daughter says "back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth".
This post has made me feel old in a way that I haven't in a while. lol I was talking about a/s/l as an adult, not a 6th grader. I spent most of my 20s using dial up. I was using CompuServe and AOL chatrooms and had a Hotmail email account. Yes, you needed a CD-rom to use the internet.
37/F/California. . Now stop making feel old!

No, I haven't met anyone from here. I am fairly new here and I live in the devils of California.....Fresno. hahahahaha.
We had compuserve too. I remember mIRC. And miss free napster. *sigh* I DON'T miss the viruses. I remember my CD rom popping open on it's own and I screamed thinking the computer was possessed. I'm sure somebody somewhere got a good laugh out of it.
I had an aquarium before I ever owned a computer. And my first computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000 that hooked up to a tv (followed by a Commodore 64). I learned about this hobby by reading books and magazines and talking to LFS employees.

Before the internet, there were BBS's that you dialed into with 4-64 lines depending on the size of the BBS.

AOL and CompuServe chat started the a/s/l question in the early 90's. It was very interesting talking to people around the world in chat. Almost everyone was nice and had manners back then. Forums have become the modern chatroom. I've been on various forums for the last 20+ years.
I remember some pretty nasty fights going down in chatrooms. Then it was time to break out the popcorn.... My first forum was at myjokemail.com and I was a pretty active user but it's been 8-10 years since I've been truly active on a forum ops:

midna
anyone else here had juno??? aol was too expensive lol. I did get aI'm when it came out tho
okay, now we're all getting really off-topic whoops!

JenniferB
anyone else here had juno??? aol was too expensive lol. I did get aI'm when it came out tho
okay, now we're all getting really off-topic whoops!
I had Juno for a while! lol Ahhhhhh, memories

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mimo91088
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
Debbie1986