Has anyone heard of true blue tetras?

AverageAquarist22

So today I went to my LFS to pick up some fish food and while I was browsing the fish selection, I saw these really pretty tetras called true blue tetras, has anyone heard of them? I‘m not looking to get them, I don‘t have the money or space for another tank right now... I’m just curious about them, maybe they would make for an interesting tank build in the future. Probably just wishful thinking... I wish I had known about them sooner, maybe my 30 gallon would’ve been big enough for a school!

veggieshark

Search for them as Cochu's tetra. I don' think their care is anything special, if you had tetras before.

Upvote 0

AverageAquarist22

Cool, thanks! I wish I had a 50 gallon or something like that... I’ll never stop wishing I had more tanks, I swear! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

RayClem

There are at least 150 different types of tetras. They come from several different genus. Only a few dozen are common in the aquarium trade. The problem with using common names for fish is that the names can differ depending upon where you live. It is much better to refer to fish by their scientific species name. However, even then there can be confusion as fish identified in different parts of the world may have been given scientific names by the scientists who discovered them and it is only later determined that they are the same species. In such cases, the first identification holds precedence.

One of my favorite tetra species is the Serpae Tetra. It is also known as the Jewel tetra , Calistus tetra, Blood characin, red minor tetra, red serpae, or serpa tetra. Due to the confusion in common names, it is best known as Hyphessobrycon eques

Likewise, there are several species of tetra that are called blue tetras. There is the Cosmic Blue Tetra that is a GloFish developed in the laboratory. It is really a black skirt tetra that has been genetically modified to make it fluorescent blue. Then there is Chochu's blue tetra (Bohlkea fredcochui ) that is uncommon in the trade. There is the knodus borki that is also known as the blue tetra. There is the blue kerri tetra inpaichthus kerri that is sometimes called the royal tetra. Hyphessobrycon columbianus is known as the Columbian blue tetra. Then there is the blue neon tetra Paracheirodon simulans. I am sure there are other blue tetras as well.

I have no idea which of the blue tetra species you saw at your LFS. It might have been one of the species listed or it might have been something entirely different.

Upvote 0

AverageAquarist22

Cool, thanks! I‘m pretty sure they were chochu’s blue tetra.

Upvote 0

RayClem

Cool, thanks! I‘m pretty sure they were chochu’s blue tetra.

Too bad you do not have room for a group of them. They are not that common, so they would be a conversation starter.

Upvote 0

jake37

RayClem aquaticarts has them for a couple of dollars each though shipping will cost an arm and a leg. Having said that ....

Upvote 0

AverageAquarist22

They were so pretty too! I really wish I had room for them now, especially after knowing they’re not very common... man, I wish my 30 gallon was empty, I’ve heard they can go in there! Is that true? What’s their minimum tank size?

Upvote 0

RayClem

The Conchu blue tetra is similar in size to many tetras with that same body shape. They can grow up to about 2" in size.

I have a small group of bloodfin tetras in a 20 gallon tank. In a 30 gallon tank, you could have a very nice shoal.

I live about 20 miles from a very large Aquarium Adventure Store in the Chicago area. They carry a lot of different tetras, including some of the less common ones. I do not get there very often, but I will have to check to see if they have Conchu tetras the next time I visit.

The Chicago area has a large Apet wholesale distributor that sells to most of the independent pet stores in the suburbs. If I want something unusual I can ask the fish department manager at my locally owned fish store to look for it when he goes to purchase stock for the shop. That avoids the expense of shipping costs.

Upvote 0

AverageAquarist22

Oh cool! I’m not sure they’d fit in the tank I’ve got going now though... maybe in the future lol they were super cool looking
I feel like they’d look great with some dragon stone as hard scape and maybe a school of harlequin rasboras would really make them shine

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Anixandria
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
Anixandria
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies