Has anyone ever used this filter?

Barbrella
If yes, how do you like it?

nmwierman1977
Yes, I use it and I love it. It's a great little filter. I use a different air pump though for it. The one it came with was a little loud. I still use a whisper,but I use this one. You can't hear it at all if any.

This filter is very easy to use. The flow is very lite and doesn't effect the Betta at all. I definitely recommend it. Natalie

Wolfgang8810
I had it and hated it! The top of the water was always scummy and I had to replace the cartrage almost weekly to avoit it being consumed with green stuff! I just got this one and I love it!

sirdarksol
I have that one, as well as a larger version of it. The small one is decent. I haven't had the problems that wolfgang has (perhaps an issue of phosphorous in the water supply or something)

nmwierman1977
Yeah nor have I had those problems. It keeps my water pretty clean. I usually use a regular sponge filter in it. I only use those cartridges if I need to take medication out of the tank if he's being medicated. Natalie

Barbrella
Interesting. I should have clarified that this would be for a 2.5 gal. tank.

Sorry.

Wolfgang8810, that filter you posted seems to not be available in Canada.

sirdarksol
I figured the one you were getting was for around a 2 gallon tank. The 3I is really tiny. I actually keep it running in my goldfish tank to keep as a backup and for my quarantine tank.

Barbrella
The 3I is really tiny.

So in your opinion, would this be a good filter for a 2.5 gal with one teeny female betta in it?

It can hold a stable cycle? I've only ever had big tanks, so no experience filtering such a small one.

sirdarksol
I have had no problems with it, though I've only used it for a month and a half in a quarantine tank. The rest of the time, it's been in a much larger tank, keeping cycled for emergency use.
It's definitely a solid little thing, and I would use it if I were setting up a smaller tank.

COBettaCouple
I think it would work for your 2.5g tank.

Barbrella
Thanks for input. I guess I'll give it a try!

LuvaBetta
I haven't had any trouble with it in my 2.5g either, but I add biological media to it; some pellets from the Aqua Clear fit really nicely inside the filter frame. When you change cartridges you can also cut away the fabric part of the old cartridge and put it inside the frame to transfer your bacteria. Mine's been holding a stable cycle that way. I keep the regular cartridge in it, but replace it with a sponge if I DON'T want the medicine removed! The bettas like to "surf" in the flow!

capekate
HI Barbrella
I had the exact one for my own 2.5 female betta tank. I can say that it did in fact filter the water very well. But I did have a few problems with it and I would never use it again. It was noisy, tho it could have been with the size air pump I had with it, maybe changing out the air pump it comes with like NMweirman mentioned in the post above would work better. The top of the filter kept coming off and you can't really use it with the hoods that normally come with those 2.5 tanks. It does not fit in the slot of that size hood. I do not know what kind of 2.5 size tank your using or if it was the same as mine. I'm not sure I remember what brand mine was, tho its one of the typical popular brands that came in bright colors and acrylic not glass.
The filter made a glub glub noise that was really annoying and I imagine annoying to Precious my betta who occupied that tank for awhile. You can only control the flow of water by adjusting the air tube where as most other filters run on a moter and not an air pump. I thought that the filter being inside the tank was to chunky for that small of a size tank as well.
I see that a lot of folks have had good sucess with this, and I am happy for them. But for me, it just didnt work out.

~ kate

Barbrella
I'm not sure I remember what brand mine was, tho its one of the typical popular brands that came in bright colors and acrylic not glass.

MiniBow? That's what I have and it has a space in the back (approx 6" x 1") for the Whisper internal filter, which I don't like - too big. Would that space suffice?

Again, thanks for the information. It's very helpful!

capekate
HI Barbrella
The filter that you showed in your first post is the one that I had in the minibow 2.5 tank ( yes that is the name of the brand I had, thanks).That whisper filter was too rounded in shape to fit into that slot given in the hood. So I had to keep the tank hood on a slant. I hope the information helps with your decision on which filter to use. The azoo palm filter is a very nice HOB filter and would fit into the slot on the minibow tank. I compare them with the Aquaclear in function and really like them. You can find them online at Drs Foster and Smith site and check them out for yourself. ;D

~ kate

Wolfgang8810
I have the aazoo filter and love it!!!!

Barbrella
That whisper filter was too rounded in shape to fit into that slot

Oh thanks for that info! That filter is out then.

Drs.Foster and Smith do not deliver to Canada.

Worryrock2007
Well, I don't know if this is any help to you now, but I got this filter with a 1.5 gallon kit and it seems to work really well.It does a really good job of keeping the water clean.The only problems I have are that the air pump can be noisy whenever you move it, but must of the time you don't hear it, and it does clog pretty easily, so I have to rinse it out about once a week. Other then those two things I haven't had a problem with it.It does keep a stable cycle because my Ammonia alarm that I have in the tank
always reads safe.

Barbrella
It seems Drs.F&S DO ship outside the USA, so I just emailed for a quote on the Azoo filter!

Thanks.

Worryrock2007
I am glad you are able to get your filter

capekate
It seems Drs.F&S DO ship outside the USA, so I just emailed for a quote on the Azoo filter!

Thanks.

I'm so glad to hear it!! good luck with that. ;D

~ kate

Barbrella
I think I'll have to do without the filter. I got a reply and here it is:

To ship your order to Canada we have compiled the following shipping option:

FedEx Priority (2-3 days) $92.15

*Please note, these quotes do not include your merchandise total.

Wolfgang8810
WOWWOW! that's ccrazy!!!! jeepers. CAn you ahve one of your lfs's order one for you?

COBettaCouple
it's crazy shipping to canada is like that. It's not like they're shipping across the ocean or something.

Barbrella
When the opened the email, I admit my first thought was "Are they NUTS??"

I could understand if I were on a mountaintop in Tibet and the package has to come by a yak cart.

It's not like they're shipping across the ocean or something.

I ordered something awhile ago from Hong Kong that weighed more than that filter, and the shipping was a mere fraction of that.

sirdarksol
Hey, Barbrella, if you can find a place that sells the filter that ships via USPS, it will only cost about $5 shipping.
The problem is that Drs Foster and Smith use Fedex (and they gave you the rapid shipping, perhaps because their freight only goes over the border via airplane.)

nmwierman1977
RJ is in a 2.5 minI bow tank and I use the whisper 3I and I have had no probelms with it fitting in that tank. It fits perfectly in that slot. The one they give is too big to use anyway and I had the same problem that Kate mentioned with it fitting in the tank through that slot. That's why I didn't put that in there. I got the 3I instead. Natalie

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
Biiba
Replies
Views
lea
Replies