Has Anyone Ever Used Bleach To Soak Old Substrate/decor For Their New Tank

Civanna

Active Member
Member
Messages
166
Reaction score
57
Experience
Just started
And have had a happy ending?
 

allllien

Well Known
Member
Messages
792
Reaction score
393
Location
South Australia
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think I'd use it for anything that can't be completely rinsed clean, like substrate etc. I have used it to soak a plastic tub before using it for fish and that was fine, but things like gravel would be a lot harder to rinse, unless you do it in small handfuls through a sieve or something like that. I don't know why you'd need to use it at all though, is there any reason or you just want to clean it? Hot water is all you need to use really
 

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,139
Reaction score
5,006
Location
Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
Bleach is very destructive. If you use it for gravel, maybe the gravel will look like it did when you bought it - fake. If I re-use gravel, I rinse it. If I am concerned about life in it, I rinse it in hot water.
Wood is destroyed in bleach. Rocks just need rinsing.
I'll use bleach on a bare tank, but not one with any decor. It is too toxic to play with, to me.
 

radar

Active Member
Member
Messages
160
Reaction score
75
Experience
4 years
I use it t clean artificial plants. Put in dishwasher racks, add bleach and run through wash cycle and then another rinse cycle. Plants clean and never had a problem doing this.
 

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,139
Reaction score
5,006
Location
Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
For plastic plants or glass castles etc, a mild solution madly rinsed would be safe. I hadn't thought of that, as a real plant aquarist, when I responded above. For organic or natural decor, I wouldn't use it - for porous wood, rocks or gravel.
 

Dragones5150918

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,801
Reaction score
333
Location
Kansas City MO
Experience
1 year
Depends on why you want to bleach your stuff.

If it's new just bought items, just a good rinse under hot water works.

If it's used, especially if it's from fish death from a disease like TB, bleach won't get all the bacteria from TB. Boiling the items in a full rolling boil pot for 10 minutes will work. If it's a lot of gravel that fills up a 12 quart stock pot, you will have to boil longer.

If decided to do a mild bleach bath on your items, I recommend a second bath in prime water or any dechloranater for a few hours to make sure you neutralize the chlorine in the bleach.

I'm old school, and I recommend boiling over chemicals any day.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
82
Guests online
2,231
Total visitors
2,313

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom