Has Anyone Ever Used Bleach To Soak Old Substrate/decor For Their New Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Civanna, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Civanna

CivannaValued MemberMember

And have had a happy ending?

2. allllien

allllienWell Known MemberMember

I don't think I'd use it for anything that can't be completely rinsed clean, like substrate etc. I have used it to soak a plastic tub before using it for fish and that was fine, but things like gravel would be a lot harder to rinse, unless you do it in small handfuls through a sieve or something like that. I don't know why you'd need to use it at all though, is there any reason or you just want to clean it? Hot water is all you need to use really :)

3. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

Bleach is very destructive. If you use it for gravel, maybe the gravel will look like it did when you bought it - fake. If I re-use gravel, I rinse it. If I am concerned about life in it, I rinse it in hot water.
    Wood is destroyed in bleach. Rocks just need rinsing.
    I'll use bleach on a bare tank, but not one with any decor. It is too toxic to play with, to me.

4. radar

radarValued MemberMember

I use it t clean artificial plants. Put in dishwasher racks, add bleach and run through wash cycle and then another rinse cycle. Plants clean and never had a problem doing this.

5. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

For plastic plants or glass castles etc, a mild solution madly rinsed would be safe. I hadn't thought of that, as a real plant aquarist, when I responded above. For organic or natural decor, I wouldn't use it - for porous wood, rocks or gravel.

6. Dragones5150918

Dragones5150918Well Known MemberMember

Depends on why you want to bleach your stuff.

If it's new just bought items, just a good rinse under hot water works.

If it's used, especially if it's from fish death from a disease like TB, bleach won't get all the bacteria from TB. Boiling the items in a full rolling boil pot for 10 minutes will work. If it's a lot of gravel that fills up a 12 quart stock pot, you will have to boil longer.

If decided to do a mild bleach bath on your items, I recommend a second bath in prime water or any dechloranater for a few hours to make sure you neutralize the chlorine in the bleach.

I'm old school, and I recommend boiling over chemicals any day.