Has anyone ever tried one of those ammonia readers that goes on the inside of the tank?

bogmummy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm really curious if they're worth it. I'm cycling my tank right now and I was wondering if maybe this would be a better option to testing the tank every day. seems almost too good to be true.
Like , if you don't know what I mean.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive heard around not to rely on them. I think they are too good to be true....

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I see both good and bad reviews.... Most aquarium products have mixed reviews, but I think you can try it? I would still get a test kit just in case though.

tuffcookie

Reaction score
I have them in all my tanks, got them when I first started theyre not accurate at all. the only time theyve shown a reading is when I was cycling at 4ppm. if there is like 1 or 2 ppm, it definitely won't show up, so really there is no point if you're trying to maintain. also seachems pH one isn't accurate at all either, I have 2, the color that shows up doesn't even match anything on the wheel lol

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can’t speak to the reliability but I know there is a difference of what the reads vs the readings you want while cycling.

For example and API test kit will measure Total Ammonia. So this will read both Ammonia and Ammonium. I believe that the “Free Ammonia” is what is actually harmful to the fish. That’s why the ppm are so low on the scale for that.

Where with cycling I think to truly understand what your tank is doing you will want to see what the Total Ammonia levels are.

I know I read an article once that talked about how you could read 1ppm on and API test kit but in reality it is “safe” due to the Free Ammonia levels not being high.

Just regurgitating some information!Don’t take me as an expert LOL

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cody said:
I can’t speak to the reliability but I know there is a difference of what the reads vs the readings you want while cycling.

For example and API test kit will measure Total Ammonia. So this will read both Ammonia and Ammonium. I believe that the “Free Ammonia” is what is actually harmful to the fish. That’s why the ppm are so low on the scale for that.

Where with cycling I think to truly understand what your tank is doing you will want to see what the Total Ammonia levels are.

I know I read an article once that talked about how you could read 1ppm on and API test kit but in reality it is “safe” due to the Free Ammonia levels not being high.

Just regurgitating some information!Don’t take me as an expert LOL
No you are right. THe seachem thingy tests only ammonia, while liquid test kits will test both ammonium and ammonia, which means that often the readings will appear different.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bgntoc said:
I see both good and bad reviews.... Most aquarium products have mixed reviews, but I think you can try it? I would still get a test kit just in case though.
Okay well I read some reviews and it turns out that most people say it does work, just differently than liquid test kits. the seachem ammonia alert only measures ammonia, while test kits measure both ammonia and ammonium. This is why sometimes test kits show ammonia but the fsih are fine. The negative reviews on amazon seemed to come from people who had ammonium and didn't really understand how the product worked.... Another thing is don't touch the sensor thingy in the middle.

New Threads