Has Anyone Ever Owned Tiger Limias Or Goodeids?

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Bruxes and Bubbles, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

I was curious about these more uncommon livebearers. Has anyone owned them, and if you have, what would you say tank size should be, and what species did you own if it's relating to the goodeids? What are their personalities like?

Thanks!

2. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I've reported breeding of these species in my local club; there may have been one or two more species that never produced 10 fry (requirement for club's Breeder Award Program):
    Ameca splendens Butterfly Goodeid
    Chapalichthys encaustis Side-spot Goodeid
    Chapalichthys pardalis Polka Dot Goodeid
    Characodon lateralis Rainbow Goodeid
    Girardinichthys multiradiatus Golden Sawfin Goodeid
    Ilyodon xantusi Basslet Goodeid
    Skiffia bilineata Elfin Goodeid
    Skiffia francesae Pastel Goodeid
    Skiffia multipunctata Speckled Goodeid
    Xenoophorus captivus Green Goodeid
    Xenotoca eiseni Red-tail Goodeid
    Xenotoca variata Jeweled Goodeid
    Zoogoneticus purhepechus La Luz Splitfin
    Zoogoneticus quitzeoensis
    Zoogoneticus tequila
    Crescent Zoogie

Pretty sure I did the Blue Tail Goodeid, Ataeniobus toweri, at some point, but this primitive Goodeid has very few fry in a spawn.

Goodeids in general require very clean water, though some species are certainly more adaptable (Butterfly, Red Tail). They especially are sensitive to ammonia. I learned to never, ever, ever keep Goodeids with Corydoras, they will remove their fins except for the dorsal spine. They have huge fry because the fry are nourished while still in the womb. They are born with the trophotaenia still hanging from their vents, which are sort of an umbilical cord. This falls off very soon after birth. You can find an enormous amount of information at  , from scientific data to aquarium maintenance recommendations. And lots of Pictures!!

I have not kept the Tiger Limia, but I've bred a couple of other species. Basically they are Mollies from the Caribbean islands. Very easy to maintain, and fairly prolific.

3. OP
    OP
    B

Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

Thank you very much for the information, @chromedome52! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I will look at the link that you provided.
    I think if I get some of these to breed at some point I will start with the Tiger Limias or the Butterfly Goodeid.

4. OP
    OP
    B

@chromedome52, are the tiger limias okay to keep in a community setting if I had some excess ones that I just wanted to watch but not breed?
    My apologies for the questions; I'm writing down all of the information so I can compare all of the fish I'm interested in breeding so I can figure out which I will get when everything is set up.

Thank you!

5. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I've had some species of Limia in tanks with other types of fish, in general they don't seem to be particularly aggressive, just active and mildly annoying. But as I said, that exact species I have not kept.

6. OP
    OP
    B

Thank you! I have read that the tiger limia is one of the more docile species, so if others do okay with fish that don't mind their companions...outgoing, then these should be fine! Thanks again!

7. emeraldking

emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

Tiger limias are not that much different in behaviour as most limia strains. The same goes for the way they should be kept. I do add some salt from time to time with all limias. They can be very vivid. In a group there's always one or some more alpha males which will be considerably larger in comparison to other males.

The behaviour of goodeids do differ from strain to strain. A lot are known for being potential fin nippers. But if you'll combine them with tankmates which can handle them, no problems there. One of the combinations I've got overhere are Xenotoca eisini with Limia nigrofasciata. Another combination is my Zoogeneticus tequila which is combined with wildguppies. This goodeid leaves smaller fish alone. I've got 8 different strains of goodeids overhere and they're not all comparable with eachother when it comes to behaviour.
    That goodeids need clean water doesn't go for all of them. What I know from own experience is that Ameca splendens, Xenotoca eisini, Characodon lateralis, Neotoca bilineata, Girardinichthys vivipares, Zoogeneticus tequila and Ataeniobius towerii can be kept in muddy water as well. And in a way, they've been more reproductive in such water than in clean water. But yes, in general goodeids don't drop that many fry each time.

Most goodeids can be kept outdoors as well for they do withstand lower temperatures. Btw, most goodeids do better when kept at lower temperatures.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice