Question Has Anyone Ever Grown A Dwarf Lily/lotus?

Jhiggins7

Reaction score
So I wanted to try to grow a water lily in a 10 gal tank. Things have been moving nicely until recently some of the shoots/runners, I don’t know what they are exactly, started to brown and die of in spots cause everything above that point to die. What would be causing this?

WinterSoldier.

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes. I have. I had the same thing happen to me. It think it is a lack of iron, I just do water changed. That seemed to help the problem. However I am sure that isn't ideal Thunder_o_b
has one (I THINK)

sfsamm

Well Known
Reaction score
I grow them generally fairly easily. I have struggled in densely planted tanks and tanks with med/high lighting with them though. They do seem to do best for me in a neutral substrate with water column ferts vs a high quality planted substrate.
They do suffer quickly when not receiving enough nutrients though, generally in my walk away easy tanks they're my first indicator I've been slacking on something a bit longer than I should.
Iron does seem to be quite important to them in my experience as well. I was out a year or so ago for nearly a month as I was being lazy on ordering and all my runners in all tanks suffered tremendously and I lost the vast majority.

OP
J

Jhiggins7

Reaction score
sfsamm said:
I grow them generally fairly easily. I have struggled in densely planted tanks and tanks with med/high lighting with them though. They do seem to do best for me in a neutral substrate with water column ferts vs a high quality planted substrate.
They do suffer quickly when not receiving enough nutrients though, generally in my walk away easy tanks they're my first indicator I've been slacking on something a bit longer than I should.
Iron does seem to be quite important to them in my experience as well. I was out a year or so ago for nearly a month as I was being lazy on ordering and all my runners in all tanks suffered tremendously and I lost the vast majority.
Alrighty, what ferts do you use, I don’t use anything other than co2 in this tank and it’s lightly planted. The substrate is plotting soil left over from the have from my bonsaI trees.

sfsamm

Well Known
Reaction score
I use dry ferts and mix them myself for precise needs. I'm not a great source if you buy liquid ferts, but I keep thrive on hand for when I'm busy or lazy and I've been running one tank that happens to have some dwarf lily on just that for around 6 weeks and its been fine to date lol

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 8 of them in several aquariums.

Plant lights, no Co2, and seven of the Seachem additives. Iron and potassium are a must.

_MG_9621-Edit.0.jpg

_MG_9183-Edit.0.jpg

WinterSoldier.

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:
I have 8 of them in several aquariums.

Plant lights, no Co2, and seven of the Seachem additives. Iron and potassium are a must.

_MG_9621-Edit.0.jpg

_MG_9183-Edit.0.jpg
Can I change water frequently and get away with no dosing? My water has iron in it I think

New Threads