Has Anyone Ever Grown A Dwarf Lily/lotus? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Jhiggins7, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Jhiggins7New MemberMember

So I wanted to try to grow a water lily in a 10 gal tank. Things have been moving nicely until recently some of the shoots/runners, I don’t know what they are exactly, started to brown and die of in spots cause everything above that point to die. What would be causing this?

2. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Yes. I have. I had the same thing happen to me. It think it is a lack of iron, I just do water changed. That seemed to help the problem. However I am sure that isn't ideal @Thunder_o_b
    has one (I THINK)

3. sfsammWell Known MemberMember

I grow them generally fairly easily. I have struggled in densely planted tanks and tanks with med/high lighting with them though. They do seem to do best for me in a neutral substrate with water column ferts vs a high quality planted substrate.
    They do suffer quickly when not receiving enough nutrients though, generally in my walk away easy tanks they're my first indicator I've been slacking on something a bit longer than I should.
    Iron does seem to be quite important to them in my experience as well. I was out a year or so ago for nearly a month as I was being lazy on ordering and all my runners in all tanks suffered tremendously and I lost the vast majority.

4. Jhiggins7New MemberMember

Alrighty, what ferts do you use, I don’t use anything other than co2 in this tank and it’s lightly planted. The substrate is plotting soil left over from the have from my bonsai trees.

5. sfsammWell Known MemberMember

I use dry ferts and mix them myself for precise needs. I'm not a great source if you buy liquid ferts, but I keep thrive on hand for when I'm busy or lazy and I've been running one tank that happens to have some dwarf lily on just that for around 6 weeks and its been fine to date lol

6. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I have 8 of them in several aquariums.

Plant lights, no Co2, and seven of the Seachem additives. Iron and potassium are a must.

_MG_9621-Edit.0.jpg

_MG_9183-Edit.0.jpg

7. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Can I change water frequently and get away with no dosing? My water has iron in it I think