Has anyone ever done a peaceful Cichlid tank?

Leeman75

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm tossing around the idea of making my 55 a tank dedicated primarily to peaceful Cichlids. I'm particularly a fan of the South/Central American Cichlids. So I'm curious as to whether anyone has ever had any experience with the following together in one tank:

Blue Acaras
Rams
Keyhole Cichlids
Rainbow Cichlids

I personally have experience with the Acaras and Ram together. Just wasn't sure about the other two along with. I like to have 1 or 2 of a species rather than a species only because with Species only the unique aspects of the fish tend to get lost in the number of them. I currently have a Bolivian, GBR, and 2 Acaras and can't imagine myself having more then maybe an additional 1 of each of the Rams.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
"Peaceful" is a relative term when referring to a Cichlid community. Achieving & maintaining a "Balance" between the Cichlids is what it's all about.
IMO, all your listed Cichlids are compatible.
As long as enough space is allowed for each Cichlid to have its own territory, rock,
crevace or chunk of DW, the potential for success is likely.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had 4 rainbow cichlids in a 55 with other small fish. As soon as a pair of the rainbow cichlids we’re mature enough to breed war broke out. I don’t like looking a aggression. Even moving every other fish out except the pair of breeding rainbows did not stop the aggressive behaviour. What I saw was the spawning dance , eggs then fry . They would eat the fry then change colour and do the spawning dance again. Even the spawning dance was aggressive with lid locking and skin removed. All this with just the two fish in the 55 about every 3 weeks.

Packed them off to auction.

Leeman75 ,
I can’t recommend rainbow cichlids as peaceful.
Two snapshots of the same fish roughly a week apart.
Note skin missing on nose.

Attachments

OP
Leeman75

Leeman75

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Flyfisha said:
I had 4 rainbow cichlids in a 55 with other small fish. As soon as a pair of the rainbow cichlids we’re mature enough to breed mayhem broke out. I don’t like looking a aggression. Even moving every other fish out except the pair of breeding rainbows did not stop the aggressive behaviour. What I saw was the spawning dance , eggs then fry . They would egg the fry then change colour and do the spawning dance again. Even the spawning dance was aggressive with lid locking and skin removed. All this with just the two fish in the 55 about every 3 weeks.

Packed them off to auction.

Leeman75 ,
I can’t recommend rainbow cichlids as peaceful.
Two snapshots of the same fish roughly a week apart.
Note skin missing on nose.
And that is exactly why I ask the question here! Thank you SO much for saving me the heartache of having to deal with that!!

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's where the challange comes when keeping a Cichlid community. No such thing as a totally peaceful Cichlid.
Learning to manage the aggression and finally establishing a truce between all the waring factions is the ultimate achievement.

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A201 said:
That's where the challange comes when keeping a Cichlid community. No such thing as a totally peaceful Cichlid.
Keyholes are the closest I've had to being totally peaceful. Actually quite timid. I kept a pair with a pair of Rainbow Cichlids for a while. They all got on great except for periods when the Rainbows were spawning. Then the Keyholes were nervous wrecks. When the breeding was over they were instantly all buddies again. Funny to watch.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom