Has Anyone Euthanized A Fish With Clove Oil

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This has not been my month for fish and it has been determined that 3 of my neon tetra's definitely have NTD. I need to put them down to prevent the others from contracting it. Has anyone done it? I have read the instructions on the forum. Can anyone tell me what to expect? I have put it off for several days because I'm afraid I'll harm them.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I haven't done it but ive seen many videos to be ready. You need to put lots in and wait until they stop breathing, their breathing slows down more and more and more....nothing.... some people watch the last moments others look away.
Solid gold has a great video.
And creativepetkeeping , good luck

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, sadly I have done this, twice.

Edit: I had to do this when one of our bettas was so close to death, he just had faint flickers in his ventral fins, so I just poured emulsified clove oil into the water, and it put him out in half a second.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CanadianFishFan said:
I haven't done it but ive seen many videos to be ready. You need to put lots in and wait until they stop breathing, their breathing slows down more and more and more....nothing.... some people watch the last moments others look away.
Solid gold has a great video.
And creativepetkeeping , good luck
Thanks for the videos. At least I know what to expect now.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feel so bad because they are swimming, eating, and acting fine right now. It's just that one has a large growth on his lip, one has what looks to be necrosis on his body, and the other has cloudy spot on his tail which seems to be the start of the issues. I would put them back in the tank for now but I don't want to risk one of them dying and another fish eating it before I find it. Am I wrong? Should I wait? I hate this.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Goldiemom said:
I feel so bad because they are swimming, eating, and acting fine right now. It's just that one has a large growth on his lip, one has what looks to be necrosis on his body, and the other has cloudy spot on his tail which seems to be the start of the issues. I would put them back in the tank for now but I don't want to risk one of them dying and another fish eating it before I find it. Am I wrong? Should I wait? I hate this.
other then maybe separating them?

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've thought about leaving them in the QT tank but I really have no room for another tank. It is currently sitting on my kitchen counter which isn't the best place for them. Perhaps I'll leave them there a bit longer.

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah it sucks but its for the greater good. I normally try to let them heal but if they get really bad ill net them, whack them against the toilet bowl to knock them out or atleast i hope it does. Makes me feel like a monster lol., and flush them.
Most of the time they are already dead when i net them anyway.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Back when I had my fry epidemic in my 5g (when I was new to the whole thing) I had to euthanize so many, so I kinda got used to it.

If mixed correctly then the room should smell strongly of cloves for days. Anyway you just create a bowl or container of water and clove oil in a 1:25 ratio (approximately) and put the fish in. They will swim around for a few seconds, then start losing sense of direction and drifting/floating whilst swimming in sporadic bursts, then a little bit of twitching and it's all over. Takes less than 30 seconds usually and it sounds bad but the fish don't notice it except like sleeping (and it's more humane than most other methods out there at the least)

It's sad and always will be, but if you do decide to let all 3 move on then I wish you the best of luck.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom