Has anyone bought fish from the big name stores during this time?

LoverofBettas

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was curious; is the procedure the same? How do you pick the fish you want while maintaining social distancing? I really want some of Petsmart’s beautiful platies, and the prices are better in store than in places online. Additionally, you can pick the gender in store, and I want males.

jasmine-smith

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've only been to my LFS unfortunately. Maybe you can call your store to see?

OP
LoverofBettas

LoverofBettas

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jasmine-smith said:
I've only been to my LFS unfortunately. Maybe you can call your store to see?
Good point. What did they do at your LFS?

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I didn't go to Petsmart/co but for my LFS I really didn't like because they picked out your fish. Only kinds and then you got whatever they threw in a bag for you. :(

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Petsmart closes at 7pm instead of 9pm for me. Mine only has 1 cashier but theres no precautions for social distancing or anything. Only when getting fish, the lady had me stand behind the blue line, either it was protocol or just herself was being cautious. Nothing about 6feet apart when checking out though. They also do not accept returns either... I tried returning a tank lid i bought BEFORE the virus happened and they still said no.

OP
LoverofBettas

LoverofBettas

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FishGirl115 said:
I didn't go to Petsmart/co but for my LFS I really didn't like because they picked out your fish. Only kinds and then you got whatever they threw in a bag for you. :(
Awww :( Did you just watch from a distance? How did you check out?

jasmine-smith

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LoverofBettas said:
Good point. What did they do at your LFS?
My LFS just wants us to get what we need and leave. No looking around for fun and no big groups. None of the employees were wearing masks both times I went unfortunately

OP
LoverofBettas

LoverofBettas

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Petsmart closes at 7pm instead of 9pm for me. Mine only has 1 cashier but theres no precautions for social distancing or anything. Only when getting fish, the ladh had be behind the blue line, either it was protocol or just herself was being cautious. Nothing about 6feet apart when checking out though. They also do not accept returns either... I tried returning a tank lid i bought BEFORE the virus happened and they still said no.
Yeesh... I forgot about how close you stand to the cashier when you’re checking out at those big name stores hahaha

jasmine-smith said:
My LFS just wants us to get what we need and leave. No looking around for fun and no big groups. None of the employees were wearing masks both times I went unfortunately
Does your area have a rule for only going out for essentials?

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
LoverofBettas said:
Awww :( Did you just watch from a distance? How did you check out?
No. You ordered/called ahead. Then when I got there you called again letting them know you're there and they come out, tell you your total, take money, come back out with fish

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
LoverofBettas said:
Yeesh... I forgot about how close you stand to the cashier when you’re checking out at those big name stores hahaha
Yeah and not one employee was wearing a mask but then again every store is probably different. Ive been ordering items online instead

OP
LoverofBettas

LoverofBettas

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FishGirl115 said:
No. You ordered/called ahead. Then when I got there you called again letting them know you're there and they come out, tell you your total, take money, come back out with fish
Oh! I’d like that if I wasn’t looking for a specific gender. Still, I wonder if my local pet smart does something like that and I wonder if I could try sending it back until I get what I want hahaha; although I wouldn’t want to waste too much of their time.

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
LoverofBettas said:
Oh! I’d like that if I wasn’t looking for a specific gender. Still, I wonder if my local pet smart does something like that and I wonder if I could try sending it back until I get what I want hahaha; although I wouldn’t want to waste too much of their time.
Yeah. One lady asked me if the fish were fine. Second time the guy thrust the bag at me and walked back inside. That was the worst. I got a bloated guppy that died 2 days later from dropsy :(
Keep in mind this is my lfs. Not petsmart/co

jasmine-smith

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FishGirl115 said:
Yeah. One lady asked me if the fish were fine. Second time the guy thrust the bag at me and walked back inside. That was the worst. I got a bloated guppy that died 2 days later from dropsy :(
That sounds more like something a big box store would do and not a LFS. They're not living up to expectations:(

OP
LoverofBettas

LoverofBettas

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FishGirl115 said:
I guess we just have to roll the dice hahaha, hopefully the employees at Petsmart will be able to be more flexible. I understand if this time is stressful though.

jasmine-smith said:
That sounds more like something a big box store would do and not a LFS. They're not living up to expectations:(
That’s so true! You’re usually supposed to be able to look to the LFS for sage advice.

Muskies85

Reaction score
PetSmart has been on my nerves too. I have a 50 dollar decor ornament that I want to return for in store credit and they are telling me not right now.

OP
LoverofBettas

LoverofBettas

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Muskies85 said:
PetSmart has been on my nerves too. I have a 50 dollar decor ornament that I want to return for in store credit and they are telling me not right now.
So pet stores cancelled returns? Anyone know why?

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A lot of stores in general have temporarily suspended returns, including Walmart.

OP
LoverofBettas

LoverofBettas

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
toeknee said:
A lot of stores in general have temporarily suspended returns, including Walmart.
Is it to reduce store traffic?

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jasmine-smith said:
If I’m correct FishGirl115 ’s LFS is blue fish aquarium, and if so you are getting the complete and utterly wrong idea. Bluefish is one of the best LFS in the midwest, and StarGirl15 can vouch for that. Corvus Oscen did a tour thru it.

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LoverofBettas said:
Is it to reduce store traffic?
Pretty sure it's an employee safety thing, to reduce their exposure to customers currently. Walmart told me to hang onto receipts and returns will be honored whenever they decide to stat doing returns again.

New Threads