Has Anybody Used Coral Nitrate Before?

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by MrBryan723, Aug 12, 2019.

1. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

2. fa4960

fa4960Well Known MemberMember

Haven't tried it but seems an expensive solution compared to just buying some Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) and either dry dosing or making your own solution? The fact that it contains 3 different formulations of Nitrate should not make a significant difference / advance over just KNO3 in freshwater.

In comparison the 32 oz / 1 liter bottle above will raise NO3 by 1 ppm in 5,000 Gal of water, whereas 1 kg of KNO3 will raise NO3 by 1 ppm in 165,000 Gal of water (Rotalabutterfly.com calculator) and probably cost you less than $5 for 1 kg (but will require some kind of scale or measuring spoons also).

EI low light / weekly dosing recommendation is 10 ppm NO3 so if going with that your bottle will last you 500 Gal of water.

So probably down to your tank size (and number of tanks) plus your willingness to do a bit of DIY whether the cheaper alternative is worth the extra effort and initial one time cost of a scale / spoons?

3. OP
    OP
    MrBryan723

Yeah, the price kinda got me lol. I was going to try to source the sodium and calcium nitrates somewhere and I can get the potassium pretty easily then mix my own solution involving all 3.
    I didn't know if the other 2 would be useful or more beneficial to my plants or not but I can opt out and just use the KNO3 if there isn't a point to the others.

4. fa4960

Although plants do need Sodium I think Sodium Nitrate (NaNO3) might be more beneficial for saltwater tanks but I am not sure. It does also not show in the rotalabutterfly calculator which I take as a sign it is not really useful for freshwater.

CaNO3 could be useful in low GH water but I add Calcium as a GH booster already so don't need anymore of that. I would just go with KNO3.....

5. fa4960

I do all my fert myself and found the upfront one time investment not too bad if you have a large tank or many tanks.

I bought:

Weight Scale 0.01 - 500g, Model WH I-2000 https://www.amazon.com/WH-I2000-Digital-Platform-Accuracy-Electronic/dp/B07KM3Y4BZ for USD 15
    Brown Glass Bottles (3 X 2500ml, 2 X 1000 ml) for a total of USD 75

Bottles were a bit expensive (could have gone for plastic...) but I decided to go for individual solution for KNO3, K2SO4 & KH2PO4 (2500 ml) and micros in a 1000 ml bottle. My doses are calculated as 250 ml and 100 ml respectively so I have 10 doses before I need to mix again. Most importantly - I have 100% control over the mix and can change change it anytime I see a deficiency or whatever.

For GH boosters MgSO4 and CaSO4 I dry dose, partly due to the amount I need and partly due to the very poor solubility of CaSO4.

Total investment in chemicals was around USD 50 and some will last me a lifetime and others many years. Only the very cheap macros and GH boosters will run out fast so very small investment over the next many years.

Good luck venturing into the fascinating world of fertiliser chemicals if you ever decide to go beyond KNO3....

6. OP
    OP
    MrBryan723

I actually have most everything needed on hand.(I like to refine gold from electronics) I use basic liquid ferts for the most part (flourish and thrive) but since I have a lot of chemistry related equipment on hand I might actually look into processing my own ferts.
    I set up an anoxic filtration system in my tank and it has worked far better than I ever expected which is what is causing my nitrates to bottom out.
    I am curious tho, all my beakers and cylinders are clear glass, do I need brown glass or non see through plastic to store the fert chemicals? Are they light sensitive like H2O2?
    My scale is a diamond dust scale so I can calculate per mole but is that precision really necessary?

7. fa4960

Clear glass is fine but you might want to store them away from light to prevent mould, especially in the micros. Alternatively you can also add a preservative, which is what I do in form of Potassium Sorbate (C6H7KO2) at 0.5 ppm and it seems to work fine, but still keep my brown bottles away from light.

In terms of scale anything that can do minimum 0.01 gram intervals will mostly do fine. Smallest amount I add to my solution is 0.05 g Molybdenum but if I was to dry dose individually every time I would need a 0.001 g scale but then you are almost in the "dust" amount and I prefer not to go to such small amounts plus I find it convenient to have a solution and only have to get the chemicals out every 10 weeks or so.

8. OP
    OP
    MrBryan723

What would be the largest quantity you weigh out? My scale maxes out at 10g. (.001 to 10 range) I would hope it would work well as it was super expensive lol.

9. fa4960

Much more than that but keep in mind that I fertilise app. 1500 l / 375 Gal per dose.

The ones above 10 g per dose are in my case:

MgSO4.7H2O - 76 g (I fill 10 small zipper bags to match my solutions with 10 doses)
    CaSO4.2H2O - 96.7 g (I fill 10 small zipper bags to match my solutions with 10 doses)
    K2SO4 - 30 g (So adding 300g to my 2500 ml bottle for 10 doses)
    KNO3 - 24.46 g (So adding 244.60g to my 2500 ml bottle)

C14H18N3O10FeHNa (Iron chelate 11%) is 2.52 g per dose so if making a solution with 10 doses you would also be above 10 g.

In my case a 10g max out would be very cumbersome. Again it's all about tank size, dosing regime and dry versus solution....Maybe the $15 on a scale similar to the one in the link is well spent?

I have re-created the relevant (for me) calculations from rotalabutterfly in a spreadsheet so I have everything in one place. The only thing I haven't added yet are the warnings for violating solubility so I still need to do a few check on rotalabutterfly but else it is much easier - including an overview sheet for mixing. Happy to share if you are interested. See example below.

KNO3 calculation.jpg

Fertilizer Calculations.jpg

10. OP
    OP
    MrBryan723

This is a actually insanely helpful. I can calculate solubility and such myself pretty well but you have been super helpful.

11. fa4960

I have written down all the solubility values in the spreadsheet but there is no automatic check against them, so I usually do a sanity check on rotalabutterfly to be on the safe side before mixing something that potentially won't dissolve. My Potassium Sulfate solution is right on the limit and the reason I go with 9 ppm and not 10 ppm, and even then I have to heat the water a little to ensure full solubility.

Excel file in zip format added if you want to use it. All calculations have been verified against rotalabutterfly but please double check.

Attached Files: