Has anybody here kept orange chromides? I have a couple questions.

Cambrianexplosion24
How's it going guys? I am really interested in orange/red chromides (etroplus maculatus) and I think a few of them would be a fantastic addition to my tank and they have been on my "want to add list" for a while. Here's the thing though, I know that many people keep them in brackish water and my aquarium is completely tropical freshwater. I've read very conflicting information about this online. I've read that many wild populations do live in brackish estuarine water but also that many populations are freshwater. Based on what I've been able to gather It seems like that while they might not live quite as long they can still do just fine in a freshwater environment but some sources still strongly emphasize brackish water and one even said that if kept in freshwater they will lose their color and appetite. My aquarium book which I trust completely says that they will simply "benefit" from a slightly brackish setup. I've never seen them locally and I doubt I will so I'm pretty sure I'll have to order some if I end up getting them and most of the dealers say that they ship them in brackish water so I feel like at first I would have to condition them in brackish water and slowly turn it fresh with each water change while they quarantine before putting them in freshwater. Would it kill them to just simply transfer them to freshwater? Will they actually refuse to eat in freshwater and lose their color? What do you guys think?

chromedome52
If they have been kept/shipped in salty water, it is important to match the salinity when they come in. Over the next several weeks you can slowly lower the salt level by just adding fresh water at water changes, and keep the water changes down to about 15-20 %. Once the salinity is negligible they can be carefully acclimated to pure fresh water.

Just doing plop and drop will not work with salty fish, as the imbalance will cause their cells to suck up too much water at one time. I've accidentally killed fish that I was not told were in salted water. It is not pleasant.

I have kept and bred Orange Chromides in strictly fresh water tanks. I was working with Golds, so it was hard to notice if any color was faded. But I also had some regulars, and they never really showed a lot of color, even when breeding.

Cambrianexplosion24
chromedome52 said:
If they have been kept/shipped in salty water, it is important to match the salinity when they come in. Over the next several weeks you can slowly lower the salt level by just adding fresh water at water changes, and keep the water changes down to about 15-20 %. Once the salinity is negligible they can be carefully acclimated to pure fresh water.

Just doing plop and drop will not work with salty fish, as the imbalance will cause their cells to suck up too much water at one time. I've accidentally killed fish that I was not told were in salted water. It is not pleasant.

I have kept and bred Orange Chromides in strictly fresh water tanks. I was working with Golds, so it was hard to notice if any color was faded. But I also had some regulars, and they never really showed a lot of color, even when breeding.
Thanks chromedome52! Sounds good! I definitely might get some now! I certainly thought it would be a bad idea to just straight up put them in fresh water before they had a chance to adjust to it. They're still great looking fish even when the colors are more drab and it sounds like the freshwater won't affect that too much. As long as they eat I'm happy!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom