Has Anybody Here Bred Emperor Tetras or Denison Barbs?

Zach72202

This is a really off the wall one, but I am very interested in these species. I am considering down the line acquiring a nice big school of emperor tetras and (denison barb) roseline sharks for a large tank, but I would like a group of them that will grow slowly.

I have seen a few videos where emperor tetras will breed in tanks fairly readily if they are happy, and can breed in 'normal' conditions, unlike neon and cardinal tetras where when the hardness is above 3 basically everything is infertile. Also, breeding denison barbs is a farm practice I am fairly certain, but if it could happen in the home aquaria it would be really cool.

Just mainly curious if anybody has bred either of these, or knows of an excellent resource for breeding them.

Thanks for reading!

BigManAquatics

Pretty sure CHJ has experience breeding Emperors...probably a few others as well

Upvote 0

A201

Captive breeding of Denison Barbs involves injection of hormones & big, highly oxygenated breeding tanks. Not an easy task. Probably why they command such a high price.
I kept Denisons for several years, one of my favorites. Never saw any sign of breeding behavior.

Upvote 0

Zach72202

Captive breeding of Denison Barbs involves injection of hormones & big, highly oxygenated breeding tanks. Not an easy task. Probably why they command such a high price.
I kept Denisons for several years, one of my favorites. Never saw any sign of breeding behavior.
I really didn't know that! I honestly didn't know how they did it, but I do know the species is endangered in the wild. I suppose when fish have to be forced to breed its not that easy lol. I think I will stray away from them and pick another tetra that could maybe breed for me. Mind you, my goal is to have a large display tank and the tetras be something that slowly grows in population through breeding in dense plants.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
bluelights
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views
Mlou