Harvesting mulberry leaves in Canada?

bumblinBee

Trying to harvest some mulberry leaves for my shrimp. I live in Southern Ontario, and I'm still unsure as to what kinds of mulberry grow here. I'm seeing a lot of information about red mulberry and how it's kind of endangered but not much else. What kinds of mulberry are safe for aquarium use? What kinds can be found in Canada? Is there any kind of prep work that needs doing before adding to the aquarium apart from boiling? If you recommend againtst harvesting, where can I purchase them for cheap? All info appreciated!

richiep

Mulberry leaves are a brilliant source of food for shrimp, I'm not sure on yours but our Mulberry trees fruit just like a big blackberry, I pick the leaves mid to end summer and lay them between kitchen towel and leave for 3months to dry naturally I then feed direct to the shrimp, if you want you can dip them in boiling water for a few seconds then feed
I tike to make sure they are completely dry before feeding just to get all the sap from the leaf
Have you a picture of the leaf

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

Mulberry leaves are a brilliant source of food for shrimp, I'm not sure on yours but our Mulberry trees fruit just like a big blackberry, I pick the leaves mid to end summer and lay them between kitchen towel and leave for 3months to dry naturally I then feed direct to the shrimp, if you want you can dip them in boiling water for a few seconds then feed
I tike to make sure they are completely dry before feeding just to get all the sap from the leaf
Have you a picture of the leaf
No I don't yet, but if I get my hands on some I'll post it here! Thank you for the info, much appreciated!

Upvote 0

MySquishy

Also, the mulberry fruit is delicious!!
Try it!

Upvote 0

richiep

I've checked for your area and you have the white mulberry and as MySquishy said the fruit on both is quite something you must try it

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I found mulberry trees in my town by following the trail left on the internet by schools using the trees for silk worm feeding.
I collect a couple of handfuls on separate occasions just on dark because our culture is not to harvest anything from the wild , so I try to be discreet. Picking in mid summer to early autumn seems logical. Drying completely before storage. I just drop a leaf in without ever boiling.

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

Also, the mulberry fruit is delicious!!
Try it!
I've checked for your area and you have the white mulberry and as MySquishy said the fruit on both is quite something you must try it
I'll definitely try it, thank you both so much!
I found mulberry trees in my town by following the trail left on the internet by schools using the trees for silk worm feeding.
I collect a couple of handfuls on separate occasions just on dark because our culture is not to harvest anything from the wild , so I try to be discreet. Picking in mid summer to early autumn seems logical. Drying completely before storage. I just drop a leaf in without ever boiling.
Thank you for your input, I don't think harvesting them here will be a problem haha. I'll be sure to dry them properly though!

Upvote 0

Mhamilton0911

I have had great success drying leaves with an iron for clothes. I just put leaves in between 2 sheets of paper towels, on a heat safe surface, like a wood cutting board, and use a dry iron on low until they are all dry. I gently move the iron around, usually under 1min. Depends on leaf density and moisture content for time, but you can tell when it's dry enough. Here are some walnut leaves I did last summer. They look the same like I just dried them. My shrimpies love it!

16218827991661927641034289894778.jpg

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

I have had great success drying leaves with an iron for clothes. I just put leaves in between 2 sheets of paper towels, on a heat safe surface, like a wood cutting board, and use a dry iron on low until they are all dry. I gently move the iron around, usually under 1min. Depends on leaf density and moisture content for time, but you can tell when it's dry enough. Here are some walnut leaves I did last summer. They look the same like I just dried them. My shrimpies love it!

16218827991661927641034289894778.jpg
Oooo, thank you so much for the tip! I was just going to bake them in the oven, but I may just give this a go instead!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
bumblinBee
  • Question
Replies
Views
Ellebrius
Replies
Views