Harlequins Mouth Is Stuck Open?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by FallenOwl, Apr 16, 2017.

1. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

2. Books&Fish

Books&Fish Well Known Member Member

Did you feed him anything recently? Sometimes my fish do that if they took too big of a bite, but it only lasts a few seconds. He also seems to have a red band running over the back of his head.

3. OP
    OP
    FallenOwl

He's been like this for at least 2 hours now..

Never mind.. I went in to check on him and found him dead at the bottom

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  4. Books&Fish

Books&Fish Well Known Member Member

Can you see anything in his mouth? plant debris or gravel?

Yeah, after googling it, stuck open mouth doesn't sound like something fixable.

5. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I had a Congo Tetra, years ago, that had contracted Mouth fungus and after I treated him his mouth stayed like this. I think it is due to the secondary bacterial infection that he contracted that "ate" away his mouth. Do you see any other fish in this tank that appear ill? If it was me I would put him in a quarantine tank and treat with an anti-fungal/antibiotic medication.

So sorry.... I would watch these fish to make sure that they are not sick also. Also, good husbandry (frequent water changes, vacuuming of gravel, etc...) is the best defense in avoiding this type of mouth fungus/deformity.

However, that said, if this is a new fish you may have purchased it this way and it was a congenital deformity.

6. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I found this article about
    this condition:

7. OP
    OP
    FallenOwl

I've had several fish that were sick for different reasons:
    1 harlequin - mouth Rot
    2 harlequins- fungus ( on side )
    1 DG - Unknown (swelling around mouth)
    1 Kuhli loach - red gills (unknown)
    1 Glofish tetra - fungus on fins
    Could these all be from the paint found in my filter?
    (Somebody painted the INSIDE of the filter )

8. JRS

JRS Well Known Member Member

I had a couple of fish die like that recently and it was either high nitrates or from the shock of lowering the nitrates, really not sure which as it happened shortly after a WC but could have just been a result of high nitrates for too long. Have you checked nitrates and did you shake the bottle and test tube like crazy if you did?

9. OP
    OP
    FallenOwl

I did check them, they were at 70, then I did a 50% WC
    Then the next day I did a 40% WC. I think they're still around 50-60 though. I was told that nitrates are generally non-toxic (to an extent of course) so I don't believe that was the problem
    One of the fish was sick before the water change.. Others died of what I now assume we're the paint toxins (no signs of illness) that was what really made me do the WC

10. JRS

I can tell you for a fact they are not non-toxic. I lost about 7 fish because of high nitrates. When I fixed my nitrates, I stopped losing fish.
    They should be between 5 and 20. I believe paint toxins could be to blame. I am just telling you that I had two fish with their mouth stuck open and died shortly after and it was because of a nitrate problem.

11. OP
    OP
    FallenOwl

It's just confusing, all of the fish seem to have different symptoms.. And they all end up dying. Even though I treat them in a QT tank.

12. JRS

I am no fish illness expert but all but the red gills sounds like maybe the same thing, a type of fungal issue just attacking a different part of the fish. Also, if the nitrates were high and weakened the fish, other issues fungal, parasitic, etc. takes advantage of the situation and attack the fish.

I had a nitrate issue, lost many fish then when that stabilized because the fish were in a weakened state some got columnaris (fungal mouth/body), most got ich and at least one had a parasite (lost that little guy after a fight).

Fish illness is tough. They are so small and quickly affected and sometimes these things are hard to see until it has progressed.

Please think about the nitrate thing, ask others what they think you don't need to just listen to me, just check around. Doing extra water changes to lower them won't hurt. Also check into what @Discusluv has suggested about mouth fungus.

I can only assume paint in the filter wouldn't be good, but I don't know if it can cause these symptoms.

I wish you luck and sorry you are having these troubles.

13. JRS

Small water changes until you get them down that is.

14. OP
    OP
    FallenOwl

I haven't checked my nitrate levels sense my last WC (25% today), I've been trying to do WCs every day since the deaths, but it's a big tank (for me) so it's hard..

15. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What are the ammonia and nitrite levels? Both of those can cause red gills.

16. OP
    OP
    FallenOwl

Both were 0

17. JRS

Are the fish doing better today?

18. OP
    OP
    FallenOwl

So far no more fishy deaths or illnesses (fingers crossed)

19. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Nitrates are very toxic. So whoever told you that was very wrong.

How big is your tank? You should invest in a water changer. I just got one a few weeks ago, and water changes are a piece of cake now.

20. OP
    OP
    FallenOwl

It's a 55 gallon
    I use a python, but refilling is a pain since I don't have the right connector (to attach it to a faucet)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice