Harlequin vs Hengeli

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

[​IMG]

So I have 10 H. Rasboras and I've been wanting to expand the school, was thinking about getting some rummy nose tetras but think increasing the schools I already have would be a better choice compared to adding another school. I was wanting to get about 15 more have them in a 65gal.
    Tankmates include:
    5 Panda Corys (plan to expand to 7)
    4 Oto's (plan to expand to 7)
    1 sml Angel (that will stay small)
    1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco.

So my reason for the post is wanting to get more but I think I have Hengeli Rasboras instead of the Harlequin and don't want the Neon/Cardinal effect where I'm picking them apart. If I do have Hengeli's do you think they would school with Harlequin's, as the Hengeli's were a rare buy around here.(if that's what they are) I have a very poor quality picture above, they never want to hold still and my camera is also over a decade old. Even at the LFS they were bright orange, while all of the other Harlequins I've seen before and after that really lacked the rustic color.

Hmm I think this is almost turning into a Fish ID, but what do you guys think?

2. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Harlequins are the more common. If you got them at a fish store, that's probably what they are.

3. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

I have harlequin and hengeli rasboras and you can easily tell the difference between the two, however harlequin rasboras look like hengeli when young. The easiest way to tell the difference is:

Hengeli: More of a classic tetra slim body, Brighter orange but this depends on what they are being fed.
    Harlequin: Stocky tall body, Larger and darker colour.

4. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

And then there is Espei as well hahaha.