Harlequin Shortage?

Discussion in 'Harlequin Rasbora' started by wrs2, May 15, 2018.

1. wrs2

wrs2Well Known MemberMember

About 3 weeks ago I bought 3 of these little fish, as there were only 3 left at the store. Since then I haven't been able to find them anywhere! PetSmart, PETCO and even the LFS! None! Is there a shortage in these fish? I really need to get a few more to complete my school!

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

That's really strange. They are a staple of the hobby. Can you get them online on aquabid, liveaquaria etc.?

3. OP
    OP
    wrs2

Probably but I would never do that. Too much for shipping for a couple small fish.

4. ap4lmtree

ap4lmtreeWell Known MemberMember

lots of places have harlequin rasboras. I like the black varient. you get free shipping if you buy over 100 dollars worth of fish with  

5. OP
    OP
    wrs2

My tanks are not large enough to support $100 of fish not would I ever spend that.
    Either way, still nothing at all 3 stores! And I posted this 11 days ago. My poor 3 still need a few more friends!

6. ap4lmtree

oh, that is fine, the black varient of harlequin rasboras cost like 6 bucks each, so you can get to 100 pretty easy. =)

i have 19 harlequin rasboras , 5 red and 14 black varient ones (1 rasbora died), in a 10 gallon. i will upgrade their living space soon, but overstocking fish tanks is highly advised by me. You just need an extra air stone. =)

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    wrs2

lol really? May I ask why?

8. ap4lmtree

I had about 9 of them i think, but then 3 died in the uncovered hob filter intake. so, i wanted to get one that had the same personality and look as the one that died, so i bought 14 more. I found one that is big and dumb like the one that died, but I think she is female rather than male. The others dont pick on her as much. But she reminds me of him. =)

I highly recommend buying lots of fish to replace dead ones that you wish you saved and are no longer in order to deal with your emotional baggage around losing any of them. =) Buying lots of them at once increases your chances of getting one similar to the one that died.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice