Reaction score
Experience
3 years
8 harlequin rasboras + cherry shrimp
VS
8 ember tetras + 1 peacock gudgeon + cherry shrimp
VS
8 pearl celestial danios + cherry shrimp

This is a well planted currently cycling 10 gallon tank. Which stocking option sounds best to you? Let me know if you have any other recommendations or think these suck. Thank you!

JamesVader

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just set up a ten gallon and I put Celestial pearl Danios in it after considering those exact same options lol so I pick those

lol I mistyped I meant I’m going to get those. I’m picking them up tomorrow, but I already asked like this exact question and people said that they do really well

OP
suttont11

suttont11

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
JamesVader said:
I just set up a ten gallon and I put Celestial pearl DaniIs in it after considering those exact same options lol so I pick those
How are they doing? Are you happy with your decision?

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I vote for the third option. My daughter-in-law has had cpd's with shrimp in a 20 gallon long for a couple months and it's gone well. Plus they're cool little fish.

Level99Fishing

Reaction score
I vote against ember tetras; they're too short-lived. When you buy them from the pet shop they might be a few months old. Then you get them home and you might lose some in the coming days/weeks. Then when all seems to be going well, they'll start dying of old age a year and a half later. Depressing.

cpds sound great!

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm currently keeping all 3 although I no longer have shrimp with them :oops: although I don't think they were the culprits :p

In terms of looks that's more on your taste but for behavior CPDs stand out. They have very interesting behavior especially when males spar with each other. I love both Harlequins and Embers but they lack the character of CPDs.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I did CPDs and RCS in a planted 15g. The only thing i would add is that you need to be careful with the number of males you have. Male CPDs are extremely aggressive with each other and i personally would make sure that i had a minimum of 5 or 7 males. I prefer odd numbers when dealing with fish aggression as it means that theres always one that thats free.

Seriously they are extremely aggressive and will do a heap of damage to each other but are great little fish.

OP
suttont11

suttont11

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
JettsPapa said:
I vote for the third option. My daughter-in-law has had cpd's with shrimp in a 20 gallon long for a couple months and it's gone well. Plus they're cool little fish.
How does 8 cpd’s and 1 peacock gudgeon sound?

Megaanemp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Personally I think the Harlequin Rasboras would feel cramped in a 10 gallon. I have 12 in my 75 gallon and they use all of the open swimming space available.

Kieren Munson-Burke

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I second what’s being said, harlies are too active for a ten gallon long term. I keep them in a 12 gallon for quarantine and I feel like I’m restricting them. Once they’re in my 55 gal they go everywhere.

CPDs are really fun! I’d probably go with those!

VSA

Reaction score
Option 1 IMO is not suitable for a nano tank. Harlequins grow relatively large for a 10G and are also very active fish.

I personally would go option 2 as embers are cheap, nice looking once settled in an adult shrimp friendly plus very hardy.

I’ve never kept CPDs but that is because they are much more expensive than the other nano fish around here plus harder to keep than the nano rasboras and tetras that are easily available.

If you would like a slightly larger fish than CPDs or embers that can go in a 10G then there is the option of red neon rainbow fish. They grow to around 1-1.2 inches and are suitable for nano tanks as they are social fish but don’t school. They are active and love exploring. They also have interesting social behaviour where they form a social order and the fish at the top of the order grows extra fins. Can be kept with RCS.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The harlequins are a bit too big and active for a 10, I would personally have gone with chili rasboras but you could do a group of 12 ember tetras.

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
As mentioned, I think Chili Rasboras would do great. They stay tiny, and I’m planning to stock quite a lot of them in my 10G

OP
suttont11

suttont11

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TW2AQUATICS said:
As mentioned, I think Chili Rasboras would do great. They stay tiny, and I’m planning to stock quite a lot of them in my 10G
Sadly, that particular fish isn't stocked anywhere near me and the weather has made fish delivery impossible. Does 8 cpd's and 1 peacock gudgeon sound good to you?

skar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
suttont11 said:
Sadly, that particular fish isn't stocked anywhere near me and the weather has made fish delivery impossible. Does 8 cpd's and 1 peacock gudgeon sound good to you?
I don't believe a peacock grudgeon will do well with cherry shrimp.

OP
suttont11

suttont11

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
skar said:
I don't believe a peacock grudgeon will do well with cherry shrimp.
yeah I sorta scrapped the shrimp idea. Right now I'm just focused on the cpd's and the gudgeon. Will one gudgeon be ok alone with plenty of hiding places?

skar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
suttont11 said:
yeah I sorta scrapped the shrimp idea. Right now I'm just focused on the cpd's and the gudgeon. Will one gudgeon be ok alone with plenty of hiding places?
Should be fine.
I'm unsure of temp compatibility however cpd like cooler water.
I believe peacock grudgeon are warmer temps.

New Threads