Harlequin Rasboras in Fluval Flex 15 Gallon

MammaG

Hi everyone! I am looking for advice on stocking my Fluval Flex 15. I have 5 Harlequin Rasboras, 13 Exclamaion Rasboras, 2 endlers (that think they are Harlequins) and a Nerite snail. Can I add another 4 Harlequins or is that too much? I've read that you can put 2 Harlequins per gallon, but I don't know how to combine this with my tiny Exclamation Rasboras. Right now it is very lightly planted with real plants, but I'm slowly transitoning to all live plants. Currently I have water lettuce, hornwort, spikey moss and 2 crypts. Thanks!

KingJamal2

Hi everyone! I am looking for advice on stocking my Fluval Flex 15. I have 5 Harlequin Rasboras, 13 Exclamaion Rasboras, 2 endlers (that think they are Harlequins) and a Nerite snail. Can I add another 4 Harlequins or is that too much? I've read that you can put 2 Harlequins per gallon, but I don't know how to combine this with my tiny Exclamation Rasboras. Right now it is very lightly planted with real plants, but I'm slowly transitoning to all live plants. Currently I have water lettuce, hornwort, spikey moss and 2 crypts. Thanks!
i wouldnt add any more. Stocking isnt just about gallonage, it's also about dimensions. yeah sure, the minimum tank size for a betta is 5 gallons, but it should be a longer 5 gallon, not a 4" by 4" floorspace with a height of 80" lol. Harley's need a lot of swimming room, and a 20 gallon long is the recommended minimum size for a school of 6

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Personally I wouldn’t keep harlequin rasboras in anything less than a 3 foot tank. You may get away with a 20 long but I feel that would be the bare minimum. I’ve found they don’t thrive when cramped and also need a larger school of at least 10 to really feel at safe and reduce stress. I do not think you have room for anymore stock, but I would recommend moving the harlequin rasboras to a larger tank so you can add more individuals to their school. Also watch out for aggression from the endlers, sometimes they can get a little mean with each other or other fish. Personally I would only do the exclamation rasboras and remove the other species. I myself have been looking into getting a Fluval flex 15 gallon for a school of chili rasboras, but I’m on the fence about it being too small for a school of 12, Chili rasboras do stay smaller then exclamation rasboras but the Fluval flex 15 is a small tank with a very small footprint. For example I currently have a 15 gallon that have about twice the footprint, so I am able to put a lot more and bigger fish in there than I could in a tank with the same volume but half the footprint. Of course the fluval flex 15 tank could handle the bioload of the 12 chili rasboras I want but it may not be enough swimming space for them to be healthy. Feeling cramped can cause serious damage to a fishes health, even if the water quality is excellent. I would recommend checking species profiles on the website “Seriously Fish” it’s generally a very good resource and will also tell you the bare minimum tank dimensions a species will need to be healthy and comfortable. But remember the dimensions they give are the bare minimum, it’s always safer to go with a larger tank, plus that way it may give you more wiggle room to add other fish depending on the specie. I hope his helps

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Netti
  • Question
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views