Harlequin Rasbora With Eggs For A Month?

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have three Harlequin Rasboras in my planted 50 gal community tank. They've been there about a month now. I am currently going through a mini cycle because in a moment of sheer stupidity I zoned out while cleaning the filter, and rinsed my media in chlorinated water from the tap, instead of the bucket of aquarium water. Duh. Enter daily 50 % water changes. Almost back to normal.

So parameters are currently:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: either 2.0 or 5.0, can't tell because the colors are so close!
Nitrate: 20

Anyway, when I got the rasboras this one in particular started getting a very round belly within a few days. She has continued to grow, and grow, and grow... and is now at the point where she is double her original size, and appears ready to burst. The store did not tell me if I had any males, though at this point I'm assuming I don't. One of the others has started to get a round belly recently.

My questions are:
How the heck long do rasboras hold their eggs? Is this normal?

Does she need to have a male around to lay her eggs?

Will she lay them in a community tank?

What do I do?

Attachments

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If she’s full of eggs (especially fertilized) she’ll start dropping them if conditions are favorable to her. I wish I could see her. Let’s see who’s out tonight. @Rtessy @Fashooga can y’all look at this darling for me? Please?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I haven't had rasboras, or any pregnant fish, but she looks swollen only in the belly area and it seems to swell downwards, and looks somewhat similar to what I saw by googling pictures. The only difference I can see is the swollen area looks darker, which could be a shadow, but maybe eggs also? Looks a little green.
Also, OP do you have seachem prime or something that will detoxify the nitrite? Sorry you're going through the cycle again, I know how stressful that is. I'd really recommend doing some big water changes to get the nitrites down to 0.25, it'll help the fish in the long run. I don't know the answer to most of your questions, I apologise, but I know a lot of fish will lay in community tanks, but I think they need a male to fertilize the eggs once laid.

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I haven't had rasboras, or any pregnant fish, but she looks swollen only in the belly area and it seems to swell downwards, and looks somewhat similar to what I saw by googling pictures. The only difference I can see is the swollen area looks darker, which could be a shadow, but maybe eggs also? Looks a little green.
Also, OP do you have seachem prime or something that will detoxify the nitrite? Sorry you're going through the cycle again, I know how stressful that is. I'd really recommend doing some big water changes to get the nitrites down to 0.25, it'll help the fish in the long run. I don't know the answer to most of your questions, I apologise, but I know a lot of fish will lay in community tanks, but I think they need a male to fertilize the eggs once laid.

Thanks for having a look. The color in the photo is pretty deceiving, she is bright and shiny, and just looks very, very pregnant (to my unfamiliar eye). There are no irregularities anywhere else on her body or fins, and she is eating well and swimming actively.

I've been doing daily 50% water changes, adding seachem prime with every change. I guess I'll just keep it up and watch her closely! Thanks again!

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
"Pregnant" is a term we usually reserve for livebearers. She looks slightly bloated rather than full of eggs. If she were full of eggs, she would need a male to fertilize them as they are laid. The only FW fish that have internally fertilized eggs are a few very rare (in the hobby) Tetras, and technically these are fertilized as they are released, without the male being present.

I'd look at the standard treatments for Bloat in community fish, such as boiled skinned peas, or Epsom salt bath.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom