30 Gallon Tank Harlequin rasbora - White Lump - urgent response please!!

Jacw001

hi folks

I had this rasbora as the first patch of residents in my aquarium since 2017, he is now 4 years of age and means a lot to me..

During the water change today, I have noticed a massive white lump, it measures up to 2mm on his 4cm body. I did some research in the forum and tried Interpet self-diagnosis, I think it may be lymphocystus virus (?). I dont think he's been bitten as it looks as the lump is growing from inside of the body

I have no emergency tank, so I either have to humanely let him go; or treat the whole tank. The questions really are:
1. is it treatable? As it looks really bad
2. will this condition affect the tank?

I currently put him in a jam jar and seriously not sure what to do next.

happy to hear your opinion

Many thanks

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? - 120L
How long has the tank been running? - 4 years
Does it have a filter? - Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 26C
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)

Harlequin rasbora x 12
silver tip terra x 5
otto x 2
rice fish x 1
platy x 2

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week
How much of the water do you change? - 30%
What do you use to treat your water? - tapwater save
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? - vaccum substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? - API
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite:0 ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once a day
How much do you feed your fish? feed till fishes finish the food (standard)
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Fluval flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 4 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 day
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? white lump with some red blood stinks
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? as usual

Explain your emergency situation in detail. There is a dia 2mm white lump burst on the skin surface. There are some stinks of red blood around the wound. He is swimming normally-ish, with his mouth keep gasping air every time he moves.

IMG_4815.JPG
IMG_4813.JPG
IMG_4809.JPG

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Attachments

• IMG_4817.JPG
    IMG_4817.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 21

carsonsgjs

Im not an expert on fish illnesses by any stretch but id say that keeping it in a jar is more likely to do more harm than good by increasing stress. Got anything bigger than that? A clean plastic tub or something?

Upvote 0

Jacw001

Im not an expert on fish illnesses by any stretch but id say that keeping it in a jar is more likely to do more harm than good by increasing stress. Got anything bigger than that? A clean plastic tub or something?
Thanks Caronsgis, I have released it back to the tank for now :) he is acting very normal

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

Thanks Caronsgis, I have released it back to the tank for now :) he is acting very normal
Thats good. Im sure a fish illness guru will be able to help out with the diagnosis!

Upvote 0

SpottedKit329

If you have a spare filter then keep it in a large plastic container and keep researching

Upvote 0

Ouse

0.25ppm of ammonia is a concern. 50% weekly water changes is better than 30%, although this likely isn’t the reason ammonia is showing.

Giving a fish with lymphocystis a stress free life is the best way to combat the infection as the fish’s immune system won‘t become compromised from stress. In most cases the fish’s immune system takes care of lymphocystis but daily water changes is usually the best treatment against infections should things go wrong.

Upvote 0

veggieshark

Giving a fish with lymphocystis a stress free life is the best way to combat the infection as the fish’s immune system won‘t become compromised from stress. In most cases the fish’s immune system takes care of lymphocystis but daily water changes is usually the best treatment against infections should things go wrong.
Why do you think this is lymphocystis?

Upvote 0

Jacw001

Many thanks, appreciate your response, I am not whether it is lymphocystis or something else..

He is swimming ok and his wound seems to be the same as yesterday

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
blennylover2323
Replies
Views
Dan1o
Replies
Views