Harlequin Rasbora & Neon Tetras in a 10 gallon?

bettasaurus

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello all~
I currently have a 10 gallon tank with 4 (soon to be six, 2 babies from a fellow keeper) baby Harlequin rasboras. I was really wanting to add a little variety and add 6 neon tetras to the tank later on. Is this too many fishies for this size tank? Or should I just stick with the rasboras and get a few more of those? I want happy fish ultimately. I also have 1 Olive Nerite Snail. Also, I have the bug and am probably going to upgrade to a 20 gallon when petco has their next dollar per gallon sale... ;) but I think I just missed it so it'll be awhile. I'm not concerned about center piece fish, I'm loving the schooling fish at the moment!

edit: I have the Aquaclear30 running!

Litfish

Reaction score
I think it would be fine but to avoid any risks, I'd wait until you have that 20.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would wait until you actually have the 20, personally I think neons would be a bit cramped in a 20. Some even say the same goes for Harlequins. Once you get a 20 I don't see a problem in having 6 harlequins and 6 neons(if possible I would try getting a 20 long).

Megaanemp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
flyinGourami said:
I would wait until you actually have the 20, personally I think neons would be a bit cramped in a 20. Some even say the same goes for Harlequins. Once you get a 20 I don't see a problem in having 6 harlequins and 6 neons(if possible I would try getting a 20 long).
I agree I have 12 Harlequin Rasboras in a 75 gallon and they love the open swimming space. Personally I would try to upgrade soon to the 20 gallon and you probably see more schooling behaviour which is really cool! :)

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can not keep 2 schools of fish in a 10 gallon tank. I do not recomend keeping 2 schools in a 20 , but it can be done.
You might want to just buy a tank from somewere, maybe try craigslist. As the dollar per gallon tanks do not come with hoods or lids of any kind, and it will cost you more then a dollar a gallon to get a proper hood.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you get a 20g long tank I think you then could have two schools. A 10g is much too small and other versions of the 20g do not have a wide enough footprint

OP
bettasaurus

bettasaurus

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks all for your advice! I'm so glad I found this forum. Always here to answer my fish quarrels.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom