Harlequin Rasbora Mouth Stuck Open!

Brittany Rismiller

I had treated for mouth rot a few weeks ago with kanaplex when my harlequin rasboras showed signs of mouth rot. I noticed today that one of them has its mouth stuck open with a white tuft on its bottom lip! A couple have a teeny tiny white dot on their mouths but I thought it was going away. Do I need to just remove this one fish or do I need to treat the tank again? I've lowered the temperature from 78 to about 73. I'm so over having issues in my newer tank. I'm a newbie and this is very frustrating. Thanks in advance :/

Attachments

• Harley.jpg
    Harley.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 99

Jacob C

Did you test the water? What is your waterchange schedule?

Brittany Rismiller

Yes. Pictured. Ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, and nitrates about 10ppm. I just did a water change about 4 days ago and it was 25%. I do a water change weekly anywhere from 25 to 50%. Ever since I set this tank up several months ago, my nitrites and ammonia have never been past 0 and nitrates have stayed between 5 and 10.

Attachments

• 20171115_155918.jpg
    20171115_155918.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 48

Brittany Rismiller

I literally just received my second filter in the mail just now, I was going to install today but I'm afraid to contaminate it. Is that even a thing? Haha

NavigatorBlack

The colour of the fish is good. I have seen that open mouth thing before, and have heard a few theories as to what it is. None are proven though.
An inflammation of the throat, a cyst, an iodine deficiency, a tumour - all have been suggested. I've had fish for 51 years, have seen that maybe 15 times, have never saved the fish and have never found a clear cause.

Brittany Rismiller

The colour of the fish is good. I have seen that open mouth thing before, and have heard a few theories as to what it is. None are proven though.
An inflammation of the throat, a cyst, an iodine deficiency, a tumour - all have been suggested. I've had fish for 51 years, have seen that maybe 15 times, have never saved the fish and have never found a clear cause.
Should I euthanize it? I would hate for it to spread it to my other fish who appear healthy: emerald green corys, white clouds, cherry barbs, serpae tetras. All in a 50 gallon

NavigatorBlack

Here, it never spread. It always killed the fish that suffered from it though.

KinsKicks

Definitely euthanize unfortunately . I'm nearly sure it hadn't been caused by some spreadable pathogen but rather some freak incident. He'll eventually die from asphyxiation because he won't be able to pass oxygenated water over the gills properly :/.

Sorry for your guy

Brittany Rismiller

Definitely euthanize unfortunately . I'm nearly sure it hadn't been caused by some spreadable pathogen but rather some freak incident. He'll eventually die from asphyxiation because he won't be able to pass oxygenated water over the gills properly :/.

Sorry for your guy
Ok. It is really sad that I have to euthanize, but I sure don't want him suffering not being able to breathe very well. I appreciate everyone's input. I'll have to go ahead and put him down.

AvalancheDave

Wait, it's too soon!

It's probably just another bacterial infection. Treat it again with kanamycin.

Brittany Rismiller

I've euthanized already... thank you.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
pepperedcorydoras5
Replies
Views
johnbirg
Replies
Views
rainbowsprinkles