Harlequin Rasbora lips and fins health issue

cdianne

I need help diagnosing the condition occurring only on the harlequin Rasboras (hr). These three, along with some tetra von Rios, were the most recent addition to the bow front tank. Following their addition a little under a week ago I saw a slight increase in Ammonia from the zero value for less than 24 hours and never noticed a nitrite spike.
Today’s numbers looked good:
PH 7
GH 5
KH 3
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Tested with API kits

The day I added the hr, I noticed one with a slight tear in the upper caudal fin. It has gotten worse and the decreasing fin tissue is occurring on both the upper and lower tail fin with what looks to be deteriorating lips; another hr shows a bit of lip deterioration. The lips appear white-ish.
There remains one who seems healthier.
I have moved them into a 10 gallon tank to treat them separately. Their are no ill signs on the remaining tank mates (danios and von rios). This is my first time creating a hospital tank and I’d like to get them healthy. I added StressCoat for their fins and Prime to treat the water. I transferred a small (Slim S15 hob) filter over from the main tank with zeolite and the regular carbon filter media.

I purchased Melafix and Primafix in thinking there’s possibly now a secondary infection. I also have ich treatments available (kordon ich attach and the api ich treatment).

Please advise and guide me on what to do! I’m overwhelmed in concern.

Attachments

• 11555DE6-F662-42D9-BB7F-F54D2D2AF70D.jpeg
    11555DE6-F662-42D9-BB7F-F54D2D2AF70D.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 6DA22D33-2168-46C0-81E6-DA95E879BE41.jpeg
    6DA22D33-2168-46C0-81E6-DA95E879BE41.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 41

cdianne

Please Help!

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 29 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 1.5 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
8 Von Rios; 4 zebra danios; 3 harlequin rasboras

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 1/week; previously more often 2/week.
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Partial vacuum of the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes for the HR
What do you use to test the water? API Master Kit

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 5pm
pH: 7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
How much do you feed your fish? Feeding frenzy with tankmates for 3 min
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega One, Hikari, Tetra
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? both. flakes, brine freeze dried and hikari baby brine frozen

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? a week
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? a few days ago for worsening 'dulling' appearance of 2/3
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? White discoloration and deterioration of fins and lips
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? One with clipped looking caudal fin
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Possibly decreased appetite; outcompeted for food by tankmates

Explain your emergency situation in detail:
I need help diagnosing the condition occurring only on the harlequin Rasboras (hr). These three, along with some tetra von Rios, were the most recent addition to the bow front tank. Following their addition a little under a week ago I saw a slight increase in Ammonia from the zero value for less than 24 hours and never noticed a nitrite spike.
PH 7
GH 5
KH 3
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Tested with API master kit

The day I added the hr, I noticed one with a slight tear in the upper caudal fin. It has gotten worse and the decreasing fin tissue is occurring on both the upper and lower tail fin with what looks to be deteriorating lips; another hr shows what seems to be a bit of lip deterioration. The lips appear white-ish.
There remains one who seems healthier; nonetheless is placed with the others.
I have moved them into a 10 gallon tank to treat them separately. Their are no ill signs on the remaining tank mates (danios and von rios). This is my first time creating a hospital tank and I’d like to get them healthy. I added StressCoat for their fins and Prime earlier today to treat the water. I transferred a small (Slim S15 hob) filter over from the main tank with zeolite and the regular carbon filter media.

I purchased Melafix and Primafix in thinking there’s possibly now a secondary infection. Just so you are aware of my current arsenal: I also have ich treatments available (kordon ich attach and the api super ich treatment).

Please advise and guide me on what to do! I’m overwhelmed in concern. This is a repost to hopefully receive answers quickly.
Thank you!

Attachments

• HR 1.jpeg
    HR 1.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 53
  • HR 2.jpeg
    HR 2.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0

Crimson_687

Looks to me like some sort of fungal infection, however I recommend you wait for others to chime in as it could be columnaris, which would require a different Med. You can try API fugus cure for fungus. Unfortunately the fixes won’t actually treat anything and I recommend you actually do not use them in this situation. It will only stress out your fish in this situation, as you should limit the number of meds to only what is necessary. If you are worried about secondary infection, I would recommend TetraLifegaurd. It may work on your infection too and will kill bacteria that may infect open wounds.

Upvote 0

cdianne

Thank you for sharing with me. I've been in my own head trying to prep for the best approach.

I believe I read that columnaris spreads quickly, would it already be apparent on the tank mates?
I definitely agree about not over-medicating. It's unfortunately ironic that this was the first time I asked about using a QT tank at the LFS and she said not to worry.

The Mela and Pimafix can be used in conjunction. Should I treat with both (dosing at 50%) tonight? I pulled all three out of the main tank as to hopefully lessen the stress.

Upvote 0

emilymg

I
PH 7
GH 5
KH 3
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Tested with API kits

The day I added the hr, I noticed one with a slight tear in the upper caudal fin. It has gotten worse and the decreasing fin tissue is occurring on both the upper and lower tail fin with what looks to be deteriorating lips; another hr shows a bit of lip deterioration. The lips appear white-ish.
There remains one who seems healthier.
I have moved them into a 10 gallon tank to treat them separately. Their are no ill signs on the remaining tank mates (danios and von rios). This is my first time creating a hospital tank and I’d like to get them healthy. I added StressCoat for their fins and Prime to treat the water. I transferred a small (Slim S15 hob) filter over from the main tank with zeolite and the regular carbon filter media.

I purchased Melafix and Primafix in thinking there’s possibly now a secondary infection. I also have ich treatments available (kordon ich attach and the api ich treatment).

Please advise and guide me on what to do! I’m overwhelmed in concern.
I can’t really tell in the picture, but is the white like a film? Or is it more of just a discoloration.

Upvote 0

cdianne

I

I can’t really tell in the picture, but is the white like a film? Or is it more of just a discoloration.
It seems to be an irritation of the skin and loss of tissue in some areas causing a dullness and blurriness (despite the also blurry photo I can try to grab more photos. There tucked away in a hospital tank now.

Upvote 0

emilymg

It seems to be an irritation of the skin and loss of tissue in some areas causing a dullness and blurriness (despite the also blurry photo I can try to grab more photos. There tucked away in a hospital tank now.
Do they look like bleached patches? Around the gills at all?

Upvote 0

cdianne

Do they look like bleached patches? Around the gills at all?
I suppose bleached patches may aptly identify the worse of the three; it’s a dullness in the fins. When moving into the hosp tank and viewing her from above, she appeared rough.
There’s not notable inflammation or discoloration around the gills.

Thank you for staying with me in this thread.

Upvote 0

emilymg

I suppose bleached patches may aptly identify the worse of the three; it’s a dullness in the fins. When moving into the hosp tank and viewing her from above, she appeared rough.
There’s not notable inflammation or discoloration around the gills.

Thank you for staying with me in this thread.
I am not an expert in fish disease, however I do have sort of an idea on what I think the issue is. I’ve heard people have issues with mouth decay as a result of fin rot. That would be the cause of the discolored, dull fins...as well as the irritation. If the diseased fish are the only ones in that tank, I would perform a 25-30% water change, (testing the water to make sure all levels are safe), and dose with the Melafix. If they still aren’t perking up after that, feel free to continue in this thread, I will check the notification to see if you are having any issues/it didn’t work.

Upvote 0

SilverLake

I agree with the diagnosis of fin rot, or some other fungal issue from the photos. I would begin treating them as such.
Thank you for sharing with me. I've been in my own head trying to prep for the best approach.

I believe I read that columnaris spreads quickly, would it already be apparent on the tank mates?
I definitely agree about not over-medicating. It's unfortunately ironic that this was the first time I asked about using a QT tank at the LFS and she said not to worry.

The Mela and Pimafix can be used in conjunction. Should I treat with both (dosing at 50%) tonight? I pulled all three out of the main tank as to hopefully lessen the stress.
You could possibly consider using a salt treatment as an initial hit. It is less stressful on the fish then chemical meds, and is usually quite effective against fungal, bacterial, and parasitic issues. That being said, The two API meds you listed are botanical extracts and certainly will work well together, I would lead with Melafix for 24 hours to see if there was a change, if not then add the Pimafix, overlapping the treatments if you wish. I would recommend not using salt and the meds at the same time as the botanical origins of the meds may lead to them canceling out some.

Upvote 0

cdianne

I

You could possibly consider using a salt treatment as an initial hit. It is less stressful on the fish then chemical meds, and is usually quite effective against fungal, bacterial, and parasitic issues. That being said, The two API meds you listed are botanical extracts and certainly will work well together, I would lead with Melafix for 24 hours to see if there was a change, if not then add the Pimafix, overlapping the treatments if you wish. I would recommend not using salt and the meds at the same time as the botanical origins of the meds may lead to them canceling out some.

As a blossoming aquarist, I need to become more comfortable with adding salt. I have at least some low tech plants in my aquariums but salt should be a definite option for the 10gal hospital tank. For future reference, what is a good baseline for dosing?

I have started dosing with half treatments of the melafix and pimafix to observe the reactions. Currently all seem well enough. I'll continue with melafix. I didn't really plan on the hospital tank location; its on the floor in a spare bathroom and wrapped in background to decrease visual stress, but that means my observations are by getting low and looking sideways. ha.

Thank you Silverlake and Crimson_687!

Upvote 0

SilverLake

As a blossoming aquarist, I need to become more comfortable with adding salt. I have at least some low tech plants in my aquariums but salt should be a definite option for the 10gal hospital tank. For future reference, what is a good baseline for dosing?

I have started dosing with half treatments of the melafix and pimafix to observe the reactions. Currently all seem well enough. I'll continue with melafix. I didn't really plan on the hospital tank location; its on the floor in a spare bathroom and wrapped in background to decrease visual stress, but that means my observations are by getting low and looking sideways. ha.

Thank you Silverlake and Crimson_687!
I agree with that mindset, this hobby goes best for all if we stay open to new ideas, or old ones that just seem to always work. A good baseline for dosing salt is about 1 tablespoon to 5 gallons, or 1 teaspoon per gallon below that. (the teaspoon per gallon is actually a higher ratio, but certainly not harmful) You can read more about it here,
Aquarium Salt: When and How to Use It Properly

And good, if there doesn't seem to be much improvement in a day or two, I would switch to a full dose of Pima, leaving the Mela alone for now, if that doesn't help anything in a day switch to .5 Pima, and full Mela, and make sure to keep us updated as you can, you never know who might see this thread pop up and have an idea.

The location isn't a big deal but perhaps having it closer to your main tank and raised up a bit will help in future lol.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Shasteca
Replies
Views
ap4lmtree
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies