harlequin problem ?

mitch126

HI since I was last on I have bought 7 harlequins after 3 days one of them I noticed was sort of hovering and it had its mouth open all the time and it looked a bit white color inside the mouth ,I went to my LFS and they sold me some aquarium salt but did'nt know what was wrong ,alas I found it dead the next day have anyone got any ideas what it was please ? Also I notice the website is a little different since I was last on ! not so many smileys to pick from ,nice to be back .Peter

Advertisement
hey Peter I'm sorry to hear about your fish, it could have been a fungus. Make sure to take pictures of fish and post them here so we can help diagnose. Also if your lfs tries to sell you something without telling you what exactly it is curing or helping id get a second opinion. here are a few charts to help you find out what it was.

https://www.fishlore.com/Disease.htm

also how long has your tank been set up? what are your water levels (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph)?

Good luck with the rest of your underwater friends

Mark

Advertisement
HI since I was last on I have bought 7 harlequins after 3 days one of them I noticed was sort of hovering and it had its mouth open all the time and it looked a bit white color inside the mouth ,I went to my LFS and they sold me some aquarium salt but did'nt know what was wrong ,alas I found it dead the next day have anyone got any ideas what it was please ? Also I notice the website is a little different since I was last on ! not so many smileys to pick from ,nice to be back .Peter

How large is your tank and how long has it been running? Do you have any other fish (besides Harlequin Rasboras) in it? If so, what fish and how many? Did you acclimatize your Harlequins before you put them in your tank? If so, please describe to me how you acclimatized them. Lastly, what are your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate readings?

HI Mark I did have a look at the charts you sugested and think you could be right poss a fungus or type of bacteria my tank is 20gl and I did cycle for five weeks fishless and when I got my fish I did acclimatize them by floating for about 15 mins then added some tank water to the bag and left them for a further 15 mins as sugested by my LFS then got them out with a net and put them in the tank ,was that ok ? Peter

Mitch, if you have the time, please read this entire thread: - it explains very well how to acclimatize new fish. It also touches many subjects that may apply to you, in my opinion.

sounds like your doing everyhting right. have you had any more problems with the rasboras? if not you may have just gotten a sick one. as the saying goes stuff happens. (actually its something else but were on a fmily based foroum

Advertisement
Isabella I read the thread you sugested was quite helpful, I am wondering if there is a problem at my LFS as I quite often see dead fish in their tanks with other fish feeding off them I do report it to staff so they can remove it I may try another local store ,also I am getting quite a lot of algae appear makeing the tank look dirty any ideas please .thanks Peter

If you have algae, get an algae eater IF you have the space for it in your 20 gallon tank. What fish (and how many fish total) do you have in there?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dovah
Replies
Views
Coptapia
Replies
Views
Viriam Karo
Replies
Views