Harlequin life span: A new record? Question

1. sojourner Initiate Member

Hey everyone:

For years, I've maintained a freshwater aquarium with tetras, rasboras, platies and an old pleco. Nine years ago (2005), I added a group of harlequin rasboras; most of them died around 5 years later. But two kept living on--I named them Fred and Ethel. Six years passed... then seven..eight. This summer marks nine years! I couldn't believe it. I was starting to think they were immortal.
    Today I'm sad to say that Ethel passed away, obviously from "natural causes". (Fred looks like his time is close.) :'(.
    I just wanted to let you know that Harlequin rasboras can live A LOT longer than many sources state.

(It's a 20 gallon aquarium using a Marineland Penguin 150, with two B filters. I use a syphon to occasionally clean the aquarium. On occasion, A teaspoon of salt and API Stress Zyme.)

Does anyone else have a harlequin that's lived a really long time? I'd love to know. Thanks

-sojourner

2. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

That's awesome!! I have 5 of these guys and I love them. Hopefully they live that long :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Wow that is a good age, well done for giving them such a healthy & happy long life :)

4. sojourner Initiate Member

Fred passed away- 9+ years... A note on fish behavior

I mentioned last week that Ethel died after living for more than 9 years.
    I'm sad to announce that her "mate" Fred died exactly a week later. :'(

An interesting thing to note is that Fred was completely blind for the last few months of his life, but was able to eat through the help of Ethel, the other rasbora. When Ethel was alive, they stayed next to each other much of the time. When the flakes would come down, the other rasbora would get into her feeding frenzy. This would get the blind rasbora to get into his feeding mode. I know it sounds like I'm projecting human behaviors on a fish, but I really think that the blind fish was able to live because of the other fish.
    This past week, since he was the last rasbora, Fred ate nothing, so he died a week later.

5. GgAcE Member Member

That's actually a heck of a love story with a sad ending =(

Sorry for you loss. 9 years is a heck of a long time though! Kudos to great ownership.

6. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry for your loss.

I also completely agree with what you say. I believe she helped him too.

Rest in peace Fred &Ethel.x