Hardy Shrimp for Newly Cycled Tank

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I understand that generally shrimp should be added to a mature tanks. Is there a hardy variety of shrimp that is a good fit for a newly cycled tank?

Ghost Shrimp?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could put ammano in to start then add your cherries later, I personally wouldn't do ghost as they could bd problematic later on when the cherries have young

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have my blue dream shrimp in new tank for 4 days already and they are fine.Here is what i did:
1- get a tank 20 gals ,fill with tap water then add clean / ready wash pool sand water in then mix them up a bit then flat the sand then take most water out
2-Plant all the desire plant ,add decoration,add water in slowly then add prime 1/2 cap.( as it doze for tank).Then let it sit for hour to clear the chlorine/ chloramine
3-Put the water filter in ( 40 gallons water filter which i have from other cycle tank) .If you dont have cycle water filter then use the new one to clean water for 12 hrs..water should be clear.Then i replace it with bio sponge air filter for 20 gallons tank.And add heater up.
4- buy a bottle of tetra safe start at petco with online price( make price down by show them web site price IF they charge more than it should be)....then add it in tank by the cycle doze ( the direction say : to Start new aquarium add 3.38 fl oz to 40 gallons tank) so i add 1/2 bottle in tank and mix them up well and wait for 10 mins just be safe.
5- Add Lovely blue shrimps in and feed them up..and keep feed them up daily..dont forget to add more horn snails friend in there to help to clean up the left over.
Water test after 3 days:
Ph 7.5 ,Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0 ppm ( i have no test for GH,KH...it on delivery)
Now! After 7 day...test is good with almost 5.0 ppm nitrate...Plant grow pell on leaves but its ok to me..The important thing is : Shrimp is still ok and water is cycle.
Tank water contain no chemical except prime and shrimp adult food and good bacteria .Young shirmp eat biofirm from plants and ignore my food..maybe they want other type than jap penny type...:)

PS: oh! One more thing.I smash the cuttle fish bone to powder and add in water ,just a bit to help out with calcium while the can of calcium turtle powder with D3 and no phosphoric on the delivery way.and 1/2 leaf of india amond for increase shrimp immuniation
E0DDCB4B-6FC9-49A7-89B0-33DEF21E7774.jpeg

Opps Sorry guy. Nitrate read as 5.0 ppm first and almost 5.0 ppm later..I mistake state it wrong...
DFEE19A5-6C56-4E4C-953E-249006F133E6.jpeg

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
richie.p said:
You could put ammano in to start then add your cherries later, I personally wouldn't do ghost as they could bd problematic later on when the cherries have young
I read some where state that ammano shrimp is complicated to breed ,easy to die while transfer from saltwater to fresh water while was young and not much favor among hobbiers.Any idea?..

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its upto the individual I keep them in my tanks they grow a lot bigger and live longer breeding them is a complicated process even for the experienced but for an early cycled tank they are perfect,

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Might want to consider Bactur AE to help get your biofilm up and running. The biggest issues with all new tanks is getting it stable where your water chemistry is not changing. Shrimp are more sensitive then a lot of fish.
Biggest piece of advise I can give anyone starting out is slow down. Take things very slow, let yourself tank get up and normalized. Remember that nothing in a tank happens immediately and often it takes days or weeks to see a stable change.
IMO only bad things happen fast in this hobby and by bad I mean failure.
Welcome to shrimp keeping. Please keep us posted on how things work out. Even failure is good thing if you learn from it.

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My tank has been stocked for almost four weeks. I have some algae issues, but overall, I think it is pretty healthy. Not sure how to evaluate biofilm. I would like to get an easy care easy breed population going that can then be used to colonize other tanks. Cherry Shrimp seem pretty cool. But they all seem cool. Mostly I want something hardy and easy to care for. I thought ghost shrimp would fit that description.

Also wondering about online orders of shrimp. Local availability is limited. But Imperial Tropical is only about an hour away. I could pick up personally. Or shipping would probably be quick and low risk.

But I guess shrimp that are too easy to breed could become pests. Is that the drawback to ghost shrimp?

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think you need some thing colorful than boring ghost shrimp clear color.The care is almost same easy or hard for ghost shrimp, cheery shrimp and blue shrimp .Cheery shrimp is my best pick for your tank.They look like Lobster on my dish but ofc way smaller .( got to love it LoL ) I really do not know how to promote or evaluated the bio film but if i add up some boiling leave in tank like lettuce, spinach then i seen more bio film build up on the media or tank wall After these leave falling apart .If you touch the thing or wall inside tank and feel like slippery or grease on your finger, that is a bio film lay cover them.Young shrimp or new born need bio film as food. Bactur AE also help you to build up bio film but cost more.You might need it when you start to have young baby shrimp.
Shrimp order online give you less option to pick right amount of male or female shrimp.They just scoop them in tank and sell them as number ,unless you have special order and it is more cost .You need to learn to know how male or female look like so you can pick them at local store ,friend or any sources you trust .It need at least 10 shrimps (7 female and 3 male is my pick) to start the shrimp colony.Most time ,store or online might have available more male than female.Too less female or too much male shrimp cost you more time to build them up.

altwitch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Have just fully gotten my feet under me, but by no means an expert yet. My project was to start a tank to house 2x shrimp without any unwanted interbreeding. I got a 30 gallon and installed a custom cut piece of glass in the middle to separate the 2 sides. Not concerned with water seepage really, just don't want any species getting together. Both tanks have shrimp and mystery snails living in harmony and added some rasbora nanos on one side a month ago - so far no problems.

I started with Red Cherries as they're renowned for being the easiest to start and did a goodly amount of research. RCS came from order with LFS but did Blue Dreams on the other side about a month or so later and ordered on line. Found that most stores seem to have a random mix of shrimp of different species and very little control of genetics. With the equivalent of 2x 15 gallon I feel I have plenty of space, though depending on what size you're working with adjust to scale. Having started with 15 of each species both are breeding aggressively (we observed no less than 4 females carrying and shedding eggs tonight).

Cost and availability are a great reason to start with ghost shrimp but agree with Vinh there are so much more colorful (also more expensive) options, but I love my patriot shrimp tank. I could better suggest if I had a better idea of tank data and eventual stocking goals. Shrimp only? If a mixed tank I wouldn't go with anything larger than nano fish as shrimp are a real delicacy for most fish even a bit larger. Relatively newly cycled tank had no problems with the RCS; however, I cycled using a bacteria primed filter along with a good sample of substrate from established tank which increased my confidence.

Best of luck!

Here's where I'm at:

Attachments

KinderScout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Amanos every time for us . Had red cherries/crystal bee shrimp early on - they didn't last. Amanos may not be the prettiest shrimp but, after 18 months, some are huge and they're the most skillfull swimmers in the tank. Again not brightly coloured but, from a bio-engineering point of view, stunning. At feeding time they are FEARLESS - even snatching food out of the cories mouths on occasion. They will sometimes latch onto fingers at feeding time too - hand feeding a shrimp? eek! BUT - as already stated above - let your tank mature for a month or two and don't rush, whatever shrimp you go for. With a low bio-load and a big appetite they make for a good 'clean up' crew but benefit from plenty of treats too (a par-boiled floret of organic broccoli is our fave) so - take it easy and good luck - keen to see how you get on!

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It is a 40 gallon moderately planted tank with female guppies. Many, perhaps most pregnant. Cycle started 10/14, completed and stocked 11/3. Looking for bottom feeders and hoping for growing population. Once I have a growing population, I would hope to transfer starter populations to other tanks.

altwitch

Valued Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to amanos as after research went with Neocaradinia. I do have a neighbor who has observed what he thinks is his 2x guppies predating the neos I gave him so the amanos may be a good idea if they're larger. In either event guppy/tetra sized fish are right on the line for fish going after juvenile shrimp. Think it's impossible to rule out even that my cherry rasboras aren't nibbling here and there on fry or even eggs, but numbers continue to increase so I remain positive. Ready to refine my thinking if proven wrong.

As the photos above may have shown I went heavy planting with a viewing area in the foreground. I used the dragonstone for all the nooks and crannies for babies to hide in and mossed the heck out of it. Moss still growing.
I really love stargrass as well, especially for shrimp; like it better than wisteria as it grows in thicker and perceive it as easier to hide in. I can't really say if they love it or not as so much harder to see the shrimp in stargrass vs. the wisteria.

Fishymom64

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think ghost shrimp would work. I have ghost shrimp in my tank and honestly you don’t really notice them. Now if you add different shrimp I don’t know what would be compatible so maybe what for them to die off or add them to a different tank before putting other shrimp in.

mikekey

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cherry Shrimp - Worked out fine for me.

ROFEA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was told ghost shrimp were the toughest but others say they are weak due to poor feeder quality. My two have been my toughest and get along well with cherries and guppies. Personally, I think watching their long legs and pinchers searching around every grain of substrate is more fun than watching rcs but as a whole their clear color doesn't have that pop. Here is a pic of one ghost cleaning her big eyeball:

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom