Hardscaping my turtle tank (I Need Help)

Narnia4FishLife

Hi, people of FIshlore!
I am planning to get a turtle tank and am wondering about how to hardscape the tank. I can really only put wood and rocks in the tank because of 1. The turtle might try and eat plastic or fake decor. 2. I like the look of plants, wood, and rock.

Plants
Floating plants because the turtle will uproot planted plants.
I have a Fluval U3 Underwater filter so I think these won't get stuck if they are on the other side of the filter.
Cheap light recommendations? I already have a Reptile basking bulb which will illuminate the tank but I don't think it will support water lettuce or African frogbit. (Let me know) $20 or less.

Woods
I have really only 3 choices.
  1. Buying like Zoo Med MopanI Wood or their brand (Idk) at Petco
  2. Buying on Amazon or some other website. (I've been thinking about this, it will work for smaller bits of wood but I want a centerpiece wood which will capture the eye when you look at the tank.)
  3. Going outside and getting wood, the only problem. I LIVE IN A DESERT. There is absolutely no forest. There is 1 relatively big park but it is government-owned soooooo. However there are a lot of Craigslist listings of Manzanita firewood or basic logs. I don't know if this will work.
I have a 29-gallon tank btw.

Stone
Any recommendations beside slate?
Anything that won't be sharp is good. Don't want my turtle to search itself.

The specific species of turtle I needs decorations or structures to climb to the top of the tank and not drown. By using wood or stones would be very nice. I also have a floating plastic wood plank for the basking dock and would like to put something under it. I was thinking of some type of wood or stone to make some type of cave? The turtle just has to not get stuck in the cave... (That would be really funny but give me a heart attack)
Remember I'm on a budget and any recommendations would be nice.

Always thank you!
-Narnia

EmbersToAshes

Of you can find a light that puts out the uvb your turtle needs for under $20 let me know!

Have you seen what people make out of spray foam and grout? Amazing, lightweight, 3D stone effect. You can mix paint in to color the grout like marble. I have made caves and stuff, you just have to build in sections so you build on top of cured foam. I've never made one for an aquarium, but I don't see why it couldn't be submerged if you anchored it down and used the right sealant.

Narnia4FishLife

Of you can find a light that puts out the uvb your turtle needs for under $20 let me know!

Have you seen what people make out of spray foam and grout? Amazing, lightweight, 3D stone effect. You can mix paint in to color the grout like marble. I have made caves and stuff, you just have to build in sections so you build on top of cured foam. I've never made one for an aquarium, but I don't see why it couldn't be submerged if you anchored it down and used the right sealant.
I have one for about $30 but it produces uvb AND uva which is essential for turtles.
Amazon.com : Exo Terra Solar Glo (80 Watt) : Pet Supplies

I'd rather keep it natural but I might just do that for the cave I was talking about!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ArtFish
Replies
Views
fishkeepernewbie
  • Question
  • Princethepurplebetta
  • Reptile
Replies
Views