Hardness is hard. Advice?

TomRiddle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello friends. Hoping you can help me here. Some background - I have had a 60 gallon aquarium set up for about 3 years, it had some easy plants, 6 phoenix tetra, 3 Siamese algae eater, 3 cardinal tetra (down from 16 over time) Amano shrimp, pest mini rams horn snails, 2 corydoras, 2 vampire shrimp, all on flora max substrate and 2 medium Malaysian driftwood. Fish always did well, along with Amanos and the vampire shrimp. But I always had trouble keeping cherry shrimp alive longer than a month or so, and pest snails usually turn white. About two weeks ago I upgraded to a 75 gallon, and transferred everyone over. I added mostly new floramax substrate, but brought some of the old as well. I added 20 cardinal tetra, 15 glowlight danios, 5 adolfoi corys, 7 panda Cory, another vampire shrimp, and some amanos. No issues with cycling, fish have been healthy and happy. Now I am assuming my problems with Neocaridina have been related to hardness , so I bought a fresh api drip kit to test before I add more neos. Straight from the tap, my kh is 6, and gh is 9(would I get a false reading straight from the tap, similar to PH?). In the tank currently, I am reading a gh of 3 and kh of 2. Is it likely the hardness would drop that fast, considering I only added about 15 gallons of the original water during the transfer, and performed an 30% water change three days ago? If I want to maintain a gh of about 4 or five, is it normal to need to do 2 water changes a week? Or does something sound odd as far as the api drip test readings?

thanks for the help friends.

Attachments

OP
TomRiddle

TomRiddle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
To add I added the extra fishy pals about a week after the original transfer.

OP
TomRiddle

TomRiddle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the reply, I believe I want to raise the hardness to maintain healthy molting for the shrimp, right? With a current gh of 3 in the aquarium?

New Threads