Hardest Fish To Care For? Question

1. PAND3MIC Member Member

As any aquarist knows, certain fish are much more needy than others. I didn't know where else to post this, but what do you all think is the all time most tedious fish to care for in freshwater? There are plenty of saltwater fish that are hard to care for, but what about freshwater? I can't really think of any freshwater fish with ultra specific caretaking parameters. I was thinking of setting up a tank for a species of this nature, what are some suggestions?

2. Discus, Fancy Shrimp, Uaru, some Apistogrammas, even try delving into African Cichlids like Tropheus which require a certain stocking and all that jazz but aren't necessarily sensitive to water parameters, or you could also try certain fish that are difficult to breed/have specific ways to breed them such as Otocinclus, some plecos, Killifish, etc.

3. camilleson Initiate Member

In my opinion, freshwater angelfish are very hard to take care of. they need the PERFECT conditions to survive. they also need some other angelfish to socialize with. some can live up to ten years or more.

4. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Freshwater angelfish aren't that hard to take care of.......

The hardest fish to take care of are usually wild-caught fish from very extreme conditions, like wild-caught discus or chocolate gouramis. Aquarium-bred discus are still difficult but not too bad.

5. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Im sure there are many wild caught species much more delicate than my tank raised and F-1 discus. I am slightly anxious about getting wild caught geophagus for my next tank, but I have heard that they are much more colorful and healthy if acclimate carefully and get their parameters right.

6. camilleson Initiate Member

7. PAND3MIC Member Member

Discus sound like they would be a really fun tank, I will definitely look into them at my LFS. I have never really spent much time researching them because only one LFS in my area has a wild-caught amazonian species that are a really pretty red and light blue color, but they're $90 each, so I normally just skipped over them, lol. I am now interested in keeping them though, I might ask my usual LFS to order some.

Angelfish are neat, I had a couple, but Hurricane Ike killed the power and they succumbed to oxygen deprivation and the Texas heat.

Apostigrammas are a fish that has apparently evaded my knowledge for quite some time now, I have never seen any species in the entire genus at any LFS. Those would make an incredible tank, they're gorgeous.