Help Hard Water Fixes

XxOwlCityxX

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all! So I just made a super sudden move from North Carolina to Florida. (University kicked us off because of covid) in NC my water was fairly neutral 7.2-7.5 normally. Here in Florida I just tested my water and I’m at 7.8-8.0. Should I bother trying to correct it or should I just have her adapt? She’s in a 5.5 gal tank with one snail, sand substrate, a rock, and a plastic plant.

How do y’all feel about the bottled “betta water” from Walmart?Aqua Culture Pre-Conditioned Betta Water, 1-Liter - Walmart.com[
I’m considering just using that to change her water from now on if 7.8-8.0 is too high but I’m not sure it’s safe or not.
TIA!

kansas

Reaction score
From what I read, it's important that ph be stable and that it's difficult to change. Many fish can adjust to a higher ph as long as it's consistant.

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't think that it's hard to change your PH. The hard part is changing your PH, then maintaining it at that changed level. If anything, I'd maybe pick up a thing of the betta water, figure out if it's closer to the PH your fish is used to, and use it to maybe slowly acclimate to the new, higher PH.

noranymph

Reaction score
r/o water is cheaper than whatever betta water is im assuming, and has a more acidic ph than tap usually. the r/o water i get is 7 and my tap water is usually like 8. you could just do what they said^^ use mostly r/o and add a bit of your tap water to raise the ph to 7.2-7.5 and just test it to make sure you got it right. then if you want to acclimate them to the tap water so you can stop using bottled just slowly use more tap water as you do you water changes? im not sure how safe/unsafe hard water is for betta since i read they like it more acidic but havent found an answer yet

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Personally I think your ph if okay. Just keep it stable and you shouldn't have any issues, bettas splendens should be fine in a ph of 7.8-8.

redmare

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I keep my betta, and kept one for 4 years, in water that's 7.8-8.0 ph, 11 gh and 8 kh. I think your best bet is to just acclimate to the new water and use that!

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My Betta is doing okay in my 8.2 pH Florida water. The transition is the important part. Try to transition as gradually as possible. My guess is Betta will be fine.

If you mess with bottled water, make sure you really understand what you are doing as messing with bottled or RO water can create unstable conditions which can be worse than suboptimal conditions.

New Threads